22LR Pistol

gillbot

Looking for honest actual feedback, not typical internet rumor. I don't want a revolver either, just not a fan. I'm looking for something that isn't outrageous in price but i'm willing to spend a tick more than a typical pistol to save on ammo cost in the long run. I don't need a high end pistol for popping glass bottles. :p

I'm mainly concerned with durability and size. I don't want a pea-shooter in my fairly large hands, but I understand a 22 pistol just isn't "manly".

On to my limited research:

Walther P22, online reviews say they are poor quality.

Ruger Mk II, Mk III or 22/45, No thanks, I can't stand the look of it.

Ruger SR22, Haven't seen much about it.

S&W 22A, Haven't really seen much about it and is probably hard to find or expensive. Kinda looks like a Ruger to me.

S&W M&P22, Haven't really seen much about it and is probably hard to find or expensive.

ISSC M22, Haven't really seen much about it and is probably hard to find or expensive.

Beretta Neos, Don't like the looks, but I don't hate it either. Haven't seen anything "bad" about it other than the looks so if I found a deal on one I'd consider it.

Bersa Thunder 22, Looks small.

Phoenix HP22, Looks small and seems to be impossible to find.

and all of that leads me to the 1911, Fuck, I don't even know where to start. There are about eleventy billion models and manufacturers of the 1911. Every time I look into it, I just end up closing the pages because it leads me in circles with all the models and manufacturers....

I'm just over thinking this, I know it. I should just go to a store, look and feel then just get one.

Own an SR22. Completely, 100% recommend it to everyone. Everyone that's shot it is surprised at it. Comes with an extra back strap for larger hands.

Just sold a SW 22A. Liked it. Strictly a range gun, whereas I can and do carry the SR22 some times. This gun is easy to find in stock usually.

My next 22 with be the M&P22 for chaper practice in lieu of my M&P9.

I also have all of the Ruger Mk's. I would never had bought them myself, but they are ok to shoot.

Read too many bad reviews of the P22, when I decided to buy the SR22.

You say you don't like the looks of the Ruger 22/45 but are looking into a .22 1911. The 22/45 is the same grip angle and dimension of a 1911, has a huge aftermarket, and operates with all the same manipulations of a 1911. I bought one for cheap plinking and training so that I don't have to burn through 45acp. The MK series has a cult like following, comes in a variety of combinations, and are probably one of the most reliable of the group mentioned as well as the Browning Buckmark.

22/45:

http://www.impactguns.com/data/default/images/catalog/535/ruger_14308.jpg

1911:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/eos/images/product/f1gsg1911.jpg

I can't get past the exposed round barrel on the 22/45, it looks hideous to me. Reminds me too much of this:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5218/5491751805_4718251a4f_z.jpg

The 1911 is like the Neos though, I don't like it but I don't hate it. I was looking around at the 1911's but there are SO MANY I just said screw it.

Ive owned a Walther P22. They are not junk, very nice gun infact.

Right now my plinker is a Phoenix Arms HP22. Bought it used at Ohio Valley for $120 and it hasnt skipped 1 beat yet. Best $120 Ive ever spent on a gun.

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/100123630/9079690/img_1535.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Too bad about the 22/45. Mine runs like a raped ape!

I know, everyone keeps telling me to get one but I just can't get past the look of it.

Ive owned a Walther P22. They are not junk, very nice gun infact.

Right now my plinker is a Phoenix Arms HP22. Bought it used at Ohio Valley for $120 and it hasnt skipped 1 beat yet. Best $120 Ive ever spent on a gun.

[]http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/100123630/9079690/img_1535.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg[/img]

If I could find a HP22, I'd buy it just because, same with a Hi-Point just because CHEAP and 'MURICA!

How about high standard, I have one from early 70's and it doesnt skip a beat, shoots as good as my mark II, and they can be had fairly cheap.

Not familiar, more info?

I have a Walther P22 and have been extremely happy with it.

You and Antwon are the first two I've seen give them good reviews. Everyone else bitches about parts prematurely wearing out. I'm wondering if it's another case of internet fear where people keep relaying what they read but don't actually even own one.

You and Antwon are the first two I've seen give them good reviews. Everyone else bitches about parts prematurely wearing out. I'm wondering if it's another case of internet fear where people keep relaying what they read but don't actually even own one.

Make that 3 that never had problems with a P22 wish I never sold mine.

I have stated several times on here the P22 is one of my favorite guns. I think some may give it a bad review, because it's not your normal function they might be use to. Keep it clean, and it's a fine shooter.

M&P and Ruger are also on my list that I may pick up.

I might end up with a couple, they are always cheap plinksters and fun to shoot. Just looking for real hand info before I drop coin.

EDIT: It's refreshing to see the good light shed on the P22 though as that was one of my favorites.

Put me down as another one that loves the Walther P22. It has been my favorite range pistal since I purchased it over 5 years ago. My only complant would be that it is picky on the ammo I feed it. It tends to only like a few brands, but once you learn which one your P22 likes, buy bricks of those and have fun. You did mention you have large hands, so the P22 might be a bit small for you, but just pick one up while at the store and see how it feels in your hands to help make the call.