2013 Road Cycling Thread

evan9381

The MSRP on my bike in 2008 was $3800.

The same model this year is $5969.

I am guessing that it is much lighter though, the 01 madone is like 17 lbs the 07 my dad has is like 15 and the 2013 is like 13 or something crazy like that. that's over 25% weight difference in 12 years.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ my buddy races and just a few months ago got his new project one madone 7 with full sram red (2013 stuff) and aeolus 7s. Retail on it is pushing 10k. I know he got it for A LOT less due to his team discount, but still insane. Weighs 13.7lbs in 54cm. Its a beautiful machine.

And if pauls question isnt trolling, retail on the bike i just picked up when sold new last year is right around 3400.

^ my buddy races and just a few months ago got his new project one madone 7 with full sram red (2013 stuff) and aeolus 7s. Retail on it is pushing 10k. I know he got it for A LOT less due to his team discount, but still insane. Weighs 13.7lbs in 54cm. Its a beautiful machine.

And if pauls question isnt trolling, retail on the bike i just picked up when sold new last year is right around 3400.

Yeah it's fun to go on the website I posted and spec out a bike, you can get it above 10k pretty easily.

I couldnt do it. The bike i just bought is full carbon, full ultegra 6700. Its probably more than ill ever need (hell i do group rides with people who race on 105 stuff), but for the $1200 i got it for, i didnt care one bit. Anything more is really just weight savings. Ultegra performs the same as dura ace, just heavier. No need for a 10k bike if youre just doing group and solo rides. I mean, if you got it to spend, what the hell, but i dont see the point.

I couldnt do it. The bike i just bought is full carbon, full ultegra 6700. Its probably more than ill ever need (hell i do group rides with people who race on 105 stuff), but for the $1200 i got it for, i didnt care one bit. Anything more is really just weight savings. Ultegra performs the same as dura ace, just heavier. No need for a 10k bike if youre just doing group and solo rides. I mean, if you got it to spend, what the hell, but i dont see the point.

I do agree, I wouldn't go that high, I think my dad justify's it based on his income but more importantly the gas and cost to drive a car + the health benefits, he also keeps everything he has in mint condition. You can usually get a pretty decent resale (not that he sells his, he always uses his 2nd oldest bike for a "rain/bad weather" bike) on these bikes.

and IMO.... once you get older and as long as your not a douche and just buy stuff to brag about it, you can damn well do what you want with your money.

True.

I thought id sell my aluminum bike (CAAD8 with tiagra components) to make up some of what i paid for the new bike, but instead i picked up a 2nd set of pedals, a new garmin sensor, and have it for crappier conditions. Had it out monday, but was able to get the supersix out both days this weekend. Its a night and day difference.

Plus, now that I have a second bike, my brother agreed that if I did the Warrior Dash he do half TOSRV. he's not ridden a bike since he was a kid, so it will be an interesting ~3 months of training.

Well, I got a call from my Grandma who lives in FL for the winter, asked me to fly down the first week in May to drive her home. She'll pay for my flight and dinner and stuff, so it won't cost me anything except any spending money I want to use. Said I can fly in a couple days early and rent a bike if I want to.

I went down last year in Feb and it was beautiful. FL is VERY cyclist friendly, and I got about 150 miles in over 4 days of riding. Less than I wanted, but I also hadn't ridden since October of 2011, and went end of February, so I wasn't in the best shape to go do some real rides. I'd like to do 150 over 2 days while I'm there this time. Will cost me about $60 to rent a carbon bike for 2 days, plus a few bucks for snacks for the ride to keep me going.

Not a bad deal to get down to FL for 2 days, ride, and a car trip home from FL with grandma for maybe $75 out of pocket. Grandma is actually pretty fun to talk to though, especially politics since we're on the same page :)

Now to find some group rides down there I can join in on.

anyone doing TOSRV (or just the half) and want to join for a slower paced 50 miles? trying to see about getting a group together for the portion i'm gonna ride with my brother, then i'm gonna join some friends in Chillicothe to do the rest of the ride.

He's not a cyclist, and i'll honestly be shocked if we keep a 15 average, but we're gonna get an early start (7ish) so by the time we make it to Chillicothe, my friends starting at 8-830 will be rolling in about the same time.

If you want to join for the second half, you're more than welcome to, but it will be a much more lively pace (20+)

• 3 weeks later...

Who took advantage of the fantastic weather this weekend? I got 3 rides in over 2 days this weekend.

Yesterday, 54 miles with a group I haven't ridden with for a while...they don't like cold weather riding. It was nice to get out with them. One woman went down when she didn't swing out enough to go over an angled RR crossing, got her wheel caught in the tracks. I was the only one behind her and saw it, which sucked as well seeing it happen. Did something to her Di2 front derailleur and she couldnt drop into the small ring. she made it back though.

http://app.strava.com/activities/43793659

today, a 48 mile ride with the group i've been out with over the winter. faster first half due to some favorable tal winds, but a ride back that hurt a bit more.

http://app.strava.com/activities/43966140

and right after that, 26 miles with my brother up the MUP. his first time ever on a road bike. he has a 50 mile ride he's doing with me on 5/11, so this is to get him ready for that...it was slow, 14mph, but was faster than i thought it'd be

http://app.strava.com/activities/43966128

all in all, a good weekend. 130 miles, i'll take it.

The GF and I are going to start riding this year. Now I used to ride A LOT when I was younger, but while she can ride, she never did it much and is kind of leery of riding on regular roads. So, I was hoping I could get some recommendations of good bike trails. Paved preferably, but easy dirt paths are ok too, our bikes are good for both. Franklin county area is good, but if there's a really good place a little farther out I'd like to know about it too.

Thanks!

If youre just doing slow, casual rides, olentangy trail (pick it up just N of 270 on 315), itll go all the way downtown to the santa maria, about 14mi each way. heritage trail in hilliard ive heard is good too. alum creek trail ofer my way (NE side) is good. you can do google maps and bicycle layer and itll highlight a bunch, but just make note because a lot are actual roads with a bike lane

If youre just doing slow, casual rides, olentangy trail (pick it up just N of 270 on 315), itll go all the way downtown to the santa maria, about 14mi each way. heritage trail in hilliard ive heard is good too. alum creek trail ofer my way (NE side) is good. you can do google maps and bicycle layer and itll highlight a bunch, but just make note because a lot are actual roads with a bike lane

Thanks man. I'll look into these. :) The bike's in the shop getting the 5-year cobwebs removed and better tires fitted. If the weather is good this weekend we plan to go for a ride. :) I miss cycling, but have been too lazy/into cars to get back into it with any seriousness.

• 3 weeks later...

not often do i post about single rides, but today was one of them. would've been nice if i was feeling better earlier in the ride, but still got 48 miles and 3100+ feet of climbing.

Headed out to Zanesfield/Valley Hi, did a few routes/loops, hit a bunch of hills, including the nasty one up to the top of Mad River Mountain. Top section hits over 15% grade, and kicked my ass. I made it up all the hills though, which I'm happy with being my first time out there. Next trip im definitely ditching the 11-25t cassette and opting for my 12/27 for a little extra help.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/290920077 / http://app.strava.com/activities/46548058 (same ride, different views)