Go pro alternatives?

coltboostin

Go pro alternatives?

I am looking to finally pick up a few cams of my own-and cant warrant spending 800$-1000 for 3 or 4 cams.

First-anywhere to get them cheaper? I see they are about $200 for the HD 2 everywhere, and $300 for the black.

I see this-I kind of like it. Also has good reviews.

http://www.tachyoninc.com/

Those don’t seem to have “remote control” capability though-which is not a big deal but makes things easy for the long drive to the border, when do don’t want to or don’t have time to get out of the car.

Opinions? Suggestions?

I've been through a couple GoPro's and am getting ready to buy a new one. I use them on the bike and the car's for rally. The remote option is an must have and they just does't seem to be a cheap way to get "good everything". You are going to lose out somewhere, whether it be sound quality or durability, I can't justify not spending the money if it's going to be used on cars and bikes.

Not that it's cheaper, but be aware of Conture as a good camera also.

I've been through a couple GoPro's and am getting ready to buy a new one. I use them on the bike and the car's for rally. The remote option is an must have and they just does't seem to be a cheap way to get "good everything". You are going to lose out somewhere, whether it be sound quality or durability, I can't justify not spending the money if it's going to be used on cars and bikes.

I agree with this ^ they cost that much because you get quality vids out of them, can you say the same with the cheaper alternatives.

yes. I saw some demo video and it does include sound.

For the price, that is REALLY impressive in HD mode. And hell Kmart lists them as well!

I am about sold on this for the track/day time action-only question is night footage....

Not that it's cheaper, but be aware of Conture as a good camera also.

I agree, the remote option is a big selling point. But again, we have been doing this for years without it. Hell, back in the day we had our buddy sitting shot gun with a Camera in his hand for any and all video! Hell I was watching VHS'd races this weekend- NO JOKE.

I agree, the remote option is a big selling point. But again, we have been doing this for years without it. Hell, back in the day we had our buddy sitting shot gun with a Camera in his hand for any and all video! Hell I was watching VHS'd races this weekend- NO JOKE.

I think anyone who has film/vids of their fun times has been through the same thing. My frustration is getting a cam that will be easy to use in the car, on the bike and on the snowbaord. I'm tired of messing with gear that is limited in function and not 100% quality. GoPro and Conture are the only ones I see covering everything, and they cost a bit. The process of getting footage is a huge pain in the ass that I hate at the time. Then to have it not turn on, have to get out and start it, hang out the sunroof to turn it on, or have a passenger hold the camera.......... all and all, you will lose a quality feature by going the cheaper route. You have to choose what you are willing to give up to save the $$$.

What is the remote function? My biggest beef with the gopro is the fact I can't remotely turn the camera on when I'm in my car and can't see wht the fuck the camera is shooting. I just got a new gopro 3 with the screen attachment, but there is some bullshit update I have to download to use it---their stuff is not user friendly

What is the remote function? My biggest beef with the gopro is the fact I can't remotely turn the camera on when I'm in my car and can't see wht the fuck the camera is shooting. I just got a new gopro 3 with the screen attachment, but there is some bullshit update I have to download to use it---their stuff is not user friendly

You can use your smart phone to turn it on-and there is some way you can actually see it live via screen shot. I think this function is available on the 2 and the 3. And yes, their customer service sucks. Another turf off.

I purchased a GoPro Hero 2 last year and I am still 100% satisfied with it. Full HD is awesome. Even the "crappy" resolution on YT still looks decent assuming your PC can handle the graphics load.

IMO GoPro Hero2's are going to be superior than the competition. Nothing else has impressed me like this camera. Ease of use, ability to get a good smooth shot, mounts surviving over 150mph, etc. Each alternative has some drawback that makes me happy with my purchase. I use it for cars, hunting, skiing, etc, so the waterproof capabilities are a huge plus for me as well. Here are some of the videos I have taken with my camera...this is all raw unedited footage, and im far from an expert!:

Cars:

Hunting

Skiing

I purchased a GoPro Hero 2 last year and I am still 100% satisfied with it. Full HD is awesome. Even the "crappy" resolution on YT still looks decent assuming your PC can handle the graphics load.

IMO GoPro Hero2's are going to be superior than the competition. Nothing else has impressed me like this camera. Ease of use, ability to get a good smooth shot, mounts surviving over 150mph, etc. Each alternative has some drawback that makes me happy with my purchase. I use it for cars, hunting, skiing, etc, so the waterproof capabilities are a huge plus for me as well. Here are some of the videos I have taken with my camera...this is all raw unedited footage, and im far from an expert!:

Cars:

Hunting

Skiing

Great review.

I think I will buy at least one go pro-especially when I am diving-most cameras I have used under 30 feet, are full of water by 20 :lolguy: I have used them a ton, but they have always been someone else. I think a Combo of one Hero2 and a few Wal Mart specials will make for great videos. :)