Advice on purchasing a diesel

bodybuilding88

Gas motors ftw.

diesels just pollute and make too much noise.

after owning a diesel I will never own another gas truck. I can't imagine towing my camper around the country with a gas burner....I'd have to sell body parts to pay for the gas. My buddy bought a 6L 2500 and I get about the same gas mileage towing as he gets unloaded. Unloaded I get 20+mpg on the highway (have seen 23mpg). Towing 10k I get 12-14mpg.

after owning a diesel I will never own another gas truck. I can't imagine towing my camper around the country with a gas burner....I'd have to sell body parts to pay for the gas. My buddy bought a 6L 2500 and I get about the same gas mileage towing as he gets unloaded. Unloaded I get 20+mpg on the highway (have seen 23mpg). Towing 10k I get 12-14mpg.

+1

That's some nice mpg, what's your setup? I'm avg 15-16mpg about 70/30 city. O4 F350 CCLB 4x4 6.0, 133k miles. Just purchased an MBRP turbo back and changed to Rotella t6

+1

That's some nice mpg, what's your setup? I'm avg 15-16mpg about 70/30 city. O4 F350 CCLB 4x4 6.0, 133k miles. Just purchased an MBRP turbo back and changed to Rotella t6

nothing major really....33" Toyo Open country, 4" MBRP turbo back straight pipe, & a 90HP tow tune with efilive. I modded the stock airbox too and have a DSP5 switch plus EGR blocker in the garage I haven't put on yet.

older pic before the exhaust and I had kuhmo's on it.....the kuhmo's sucked. These Toyo's are a much better mud tire.

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj37/0rion_album/009resized.jpg

I did a lot of reading and test driving when I bought mine. I ended up with an 06 LBZ duramax. The Allison was a huge draw for me. The durmax engine is a great engine but backing it with the Allison was pure genius on GM's part because it's by far the best tranny out of the big 3 as far as durability. The 06's also had fewer issues with injectors and things like that although there are still some common issues with them as there is with pretty much every truck ever made. I would say do your reading, take some test drives, and buy whatever suits your needs. What kind of weight are you looking at towing? Keep in mind the drw is gonna be a pain in the ass to drive around town on a daily basis and you can add several hundred dollars to every tire purchase. Unless you have to have it I would go srw. I know mine yanks my 10k 5th wheel camper around like it's nothing.

It will be around 18-20k so drw is only option really. And the Allison is the whole reason im even considering a dirtymax to be honest.

You have to realize that every auto behind a diesel has it's days numbered with any mods on it. especially the chryslers and allison trans. The Ford trans is pretty safe to 480 wheel as long as you're tuning with an SCT.

yeah because the ford's are known to have great trans backing those powerstrokes :rolleyes:

yeah because the ford's are known to have great trans backing those powerstrokes :rolleyes:

Behind the 6.4s not so much. But the 5R110 they put behind the 6.0 is a pretty good trans. Chrysler makes a fucking horrible automatic trans, and the Allison will break if you sneeze wrong.

Nick is right 100%.

Herp derp Allison is Da coolest and best!

I'd take a ford auto vs that Allison.

If your using for a truck you can't beat a real truck (manual). No auto will withstand the same power a factory manual will. Switch to a twin or triple disc and be done.