Advice on purchasing a diesel

bodybuilding88

I have always done cars and jeeps and never owned a diesel before. I have narrowed it down to a 07-2010 6.7 Cummins or Duramax dually. I am going to be using it for daily duties and towing a 3 car wedge 2-4 times a month so fairly heavy loads. I have been spending hours on forums reading and trying to learn all the ups and downs of each one. I am looking at a 6spd manual in the cummins since from what I've read its a little more durable then the auto trans in a cummins. The duramax has the Allison so a better trans but the cummins has alot more lower torque for hills and such when pulling. Im looking for any input and if anyone has experience towing alot with either I'd like to hear any pro's or cons.

Cummins are great motors, but the dodge quality especially the interiors are bottoms in class of the 3. The duramax is a nice truck I've always liked the GMC over the chev. A friend of mine had a duramax and got rid of it cause it started blowing antifreeze at 100k miles and was gonna cost 8k to fix.

I'd go w the duramax IMO, but they all have there issues.

Best diesel built in a truck was the 7.3 hands down

I agree with the 7.3 being the best. Damn near impossible to get a loan on a truck that old though. One thing that concerns me with the duramax is that I read all over injectors going out sometimes under 100k miles. I want to buy something with under 50k miles and want it to add 50-75k miles before it needs major work and allow me to make some money with it before shit starts breaking.

Cummins are great motors, but the dodge quality especially the interiors are bottoms in class of the 3. The duramax is a nice truck I've always liked the GMC over the chev. A friend of mine had a duramax and got rid of it cause it started blowing antifreeze at 100k miles and was gonna cost 8k to fix.

I'd go w the duramax IMO, but they all have there issues.

Best diesel built in a truck was the 7.3 hands down

I hope you're kidding.

Fiind an 03 or older 7.3 and you will be very pleased. If you can't do that I would suggest cummins for the power and reliability. I've driven most of the most of the vehicles with the engines that have been listed. All of the trucks have flaws, its more about reliability of the them that matters and by far the two I have listed will get you anywhere you need to go. For the best information PM Bill Dozzer and he can guide you in the right direction. He is a diesel genius!

My dad has a 6.7 cummins in his 2010, and I have one in my 2007. Both trucks are 6-speeds, and I can say issues have been very limited. The 2010 has 60 or 70k on it, and my 2007 has 42k. The only maintenance other than oil/fuel/air filters has been a couple "turbo cleans" done by dealer, and covered under warranty. The variable vane turbos sometimes get sooted up (like twice in 70k for my dads truck) but only if you leave all the emissions crap in place.

As for interiors being crappy as somebody mentioned, I would argue that gm has always been worse, and the 2010 trucks have better interiors than gm by far.

The gm and dodge trucks share front and rear axles, both made by AAM. If you plan on doing your own maintenance or modifying the truck at all, the dodge is BY FAR easier and cheaper to work on. I recently deleted all the emissions equipment from my 2007, which requires a tuner to disable the functions in the ecu. I can tell you that all the delete work was very easy but that the factory clutch slips with much power over stock. I say dodge all the way. Dont believe all the dodge is junk talk.

To the OP, this is a topic which is horrible to ask on a forum such as this. The Cummins vs. PowerStroke vs. Duramax debate will go on forever. There will always be examples of which one is better than the other, and why. The majority of the replies will come from people who have had very little, or even no experience at all with either. They nut swing from the ignorant opinion of their friends who usually do the same thing. That being said...

Cummins > All.

To the OP, this is a topic which is horrible to ask on a forum such as this. The Cummins vs. PowerStroke vs. Duramax debate will go on forever. There will always be examples of which one is better than the other, and why. The majority of the replies will come from people who have had very little, or even no experience at all with either. They nut swing from the ignorant opinion of their friends who usually do the same thing. That being said...

Cummins > All.

Im seeing that now. That mainly why I asked for people with experience in these trucks and in the manner that im going to be using it for long distances.

spankis thanks for the reply. If I get a cummins it will be deleted and kept on close to stock power levels as possible with a tuner.

And yes ill be doing most of the maintenance and repairs with the help of my dad who has a lift and is a decent mechanic. He has a 07 chevy duramax that he uses to haul his drag car and loves his. except he only puts maybe 5k miles a year on his so I cant judge to much on the reliability and longevity of one from his. I wasn't that impressed with the interior or ride of his to be honest.

If you werent impressed with the GM interior then you'll gouge your eyes out when you see the dodge interior.

Haha great. But to be honest this truck will be used for work most of the time and what is most important is the reliability/longevity, how easy it is to work on myself, and cost of repairs since ill be putting a lot of miles on it. I really don't care if the interior isn't that great. Interior Is probably last on my list.

If you werent impressed with the GM interior then you'll gouge your eyes out when you see the dodge interior.

Since reasonable people apparently buy diesel trucks based on their interiors....

2006-2009 Dodge Interior:

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/10/18/10/27/2009_dodge_ram_pickup_2500-pic-43273.jpeg

2003(ish) - 2006 Chevy Interior:

http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/70967/2006-Chevrolet-Silverado-2500HD-001.jpg

2010-2012 Dodge Interior:

http://image.motortrend.com/f/10795224+w750/112_0808_16z+2009_dodge_ram+dash.jpg

2007 - 2012 Chevy Interior:

http://image.trucktrend.com/f/8542887/163_0704_10z+2007_chevrolet_silverado+dash_view.jpg

I love my 05 SRW 2500 with the LLY. I've pulled my fiance's 15K# horse trailer a number of times for a few hours at a time without any issues. Up and down a lot of hills and through a muddy field without issues. I've worked/driven all three and I preferred the Chevy, so that's what I went with when I was looking. I've never pulled anything heavy with the other two so I can't comment about them and towing. The only complaint I have on the truck is the amount of fuel filters I seem to go through but that is a know thing with the LLY.

I did a lot of reading and test driving when I bought mine. I ended up with an 06 LBZ duramax. The Allison was a huge draw for me. The durmax engine is a great engine but backing it with the Allison was pure genius on GM's part because it's by far the best tranny out of the big 3 as far as durability. The 06's also had fewer issues with injectors and things like that although there are still some common issues with them as there is with pretty much every truck ever made. I would say do your reading, take some test drives, and buy whatever suits your needs. What kind of weight are you looking at towing? Keep in mind the drw is gonna be a pain in the ass to drive around town on a daily basis and you can add several hundred dollars to every tire purchase. Unless you have to have it I would go srw. I know mine yanks my 10k 5th wheel camper around like it's nothing.