2002 Ram? Or other cheaper full size pickups...?

Bam

Needing a full size pickup for a 2nd vehicle. It will be driven maybe 3-5k miles/year, if that.

Prefer ext/crew cabs

5k+ towing capacity

2000 or newer w/ preferably 100k or less miles

$7500 or less

What does everyone recommend?

Found an 02 ram slt 1500, crewcab, v8, 85k for 7g's

Anyone have these/know of issues? Anyone know of anything better or any reason NOT to buy the dodge?

I have no experience with the Dodge or the Ford of that year range, but I have to recommend the Silverado. I had an 03 for a few years and I loved it. It had plenty of power, it was comfortable, and got decent fuel economy. The truck comes with the indestructible 4.8 or 5.3 in half ton V8 form. I chose the Silverado over the Ford and the Dodge during my research for a few reasons. It is the easiest to work on, best on fuel, and arguably the best chassis.

Just my .02

If you don't need a diesel I would stay away from Dodge, unless you get a 2wd maual transmission truck. Their 4x4 front ends aren't good as well as the trans.

I'd go with a Ford if I wasn't getting a diesel, personally.

As much as I loved my 00 Ram, it started showing its age last year before I got rid of it. If you get a 5.9 Magnum, get rid of the "beer keg" manifold. Mine started leaking before I got rid of it. As Berto said, ball joints and tie rods will go bad (like every other truck), but a little faster than the others. Switch to Moog ball joints/tie rods and fix it right away. Never had any issue with the transmission, other than a $12 sensor. With a Dana 44 front and a 9.25" rear, the axles are usually solid. Again, with over 100K, it may toss a bearing or 2 in the rear end like mine did.

I wish I still had my old Ram as a knock around truck. I never had any major issues with it, besides 10 MPG, but it's a truck.

If you don't need a diesel I would stay away from Dodge, unless you get a 2wd maual transmission truck. Their 4x4 front ends aren't good as well as the trans.

I'd go with a Ford if I wasn't getting a diesel, personally.

Ram isn't my first choice, but they do seem to be quite a bit cheaper when comparing apples to apples. I am fine/mostly like will get a 2wd but not keen on a manual. I daily a manual car and love it, but not sure how I'd like towing with one, or pulling the boat out of the water with one.

I have a 02 quad cab slt 4x4 for sale

Details? Mileage/color/price?

Are the 4.7's decent motors?

I honestly prefer the silverado over any of them, but it's slim pickings unless I want 200k miles and I'd rather chance an 80k ram than a 200k silverado at the same price.

I have a '3 Silverado 1500 LS ECSB 2WD for sale. It has about 107k miles with red exterior and gray interior.

It comes with several factory options like tinted windows, center console, leather-wrapped steering wheel, side molding, driving lights, power driver seat, and velour-like seats along with upgraded stereo and other power equipments (pw, pdl). Everything functions normally.

Being a half-ton and 2wd, the front suspension has coil springs with rack & pinion steering instead of torsion bars & recirculating ball.

The truck has been used to tow my Corvette to races & occassionally to car shows. It has bolt-on chrome-plated bed rail bars and step bars; can be removed if desired.

Please send me a PM if interested.