Direct TV?

truckin

Anyone using them or have experience with them? Pros and Cons? How's there service, and any issues with the dish and storms or rain/ wind?

I have TW now and never had anything else and honestly I'm happy with them but if I can save some cash I may switch.

I went from WOW to Directv years ago, rarely ever goes out due to storm, mostly in the summer in huge thunderstorms. Outage time is a few minutes while it moves through. We recently moved and had to suspend service. Pretty cool, because when we moved in later we got another DVR and HD box free. So now we have 5 TVs and 2 DVRs and whole home DVR from both DVRs. I had them install the 16 way splitter so in the future we can add more like in the kids rooms and the guest bedroom. I really like their equipment. Customer service has been awesome. There was an issue with a staple in one of out coax lines (brand new house) and the installer went above and beyond to fix it. They are not cheap, but worth the $$$.

Plus, they have a smoking hot woman in their ads now, so you know, that's a plus.

yes she is

I've had it going on 2 years now. I got it specifically for the nfl package. In the last 2 years I can count on one hand the number of times it's went down while watching and like other said.....it was heavy thunderstorms and was only out a couple of minutes. We had an issue with the downstairs box not communicating with the dvr box upstairs. Called them...they were here 2 days later and fixed it so I can't really complain about the customer service. Let me know if you want to save $10/month for 10 months....I'd be willing to do that for you. Of course I'd also save the same. :D

Another thing too is you can call them and cut deals. We got the nfl package free our first year. My wife called them this year and their advertised price was $199 I believe ( still worth it) and they knocked $40 off that and gave us some free movie channels for another 3 months. Next year our contract is up......I'll get it for free next year because I'll have more bargaining power with the contract being up. I'm also going to hit them up for some more stuff. :D You have to kinda be a dick and willing to drop them if it came right down to it but they will almost always cave and give you a good deal.

DirecTV got new dishes, if your install tech does a good job you'll have image 99.7 percent of the time.

Rain and snow shouldn't have much effect on your image. Keep in mind that they have great introductory rates for the first year and it will go up after that. Also, you're not going to get a discount rate on an internet/tv bundle so your internet will do up in price.

Also, if you're a Sams Club Member it's not a bad idea to go sign up through the reps inside the store. You do get some added benefits through DirecTV if you go this route as well as through Sams Club.

Edited by Radio Flyer

I gotta weigh if it gonna be worthwhile switching from cable. I don't like having a dish in my yard, looks hokie IMO. I don't really care bout nfl channels more or less looking at saving money.

When I was thinking about getting it we looked at the price after all the discounts ran out and it really wasn't a huge savings. You do get hooked up initially but when everything is all said and done it was only a few bucks a month really. As far as the service....I have a shit ton of trees around the house so I was really worried about reception issues even though they told me I'd be fine. I just figured at the end of the day it was only 2 years and I can pretty much put up with anything for 2 years. I hated having warner so I was willing to risk it. Glad I did.

Your other option is to call your cable company and tell them you're thinking of going to directv because it's cheaper and see if they'll match or come close. My father in law does stuff like that every couple of years to keep his cable bill in check. I forget who he has but they always give him discounts to keep him as a customer.

when we switched the reception sucked balls I was very unhappy moving from cable, so I called and complained another tech that came out said the 1st guy didnt have it configured right. Since then I cant tell you the last time I lost reception.

The picture quality is worth it for me - with a 58" plasma the direct tv equipment and signal provides a much better picture than time warner or wow.

we plan on keeping direct tv after the contract is up.

I've been with Insight for 4 years and just signed up for Direct TV yesterday, getting it installed Thursday.

My good friend has it and loves it (of course he wanted the referral haha)...it sucks it is going up $20 after a year, but it's unbeatable as far as all the stuff you get.

Insight Bill: $94 a month for Cable (1 DVR, basic cable in 3 rooms) and 10.0 Internet

Direct TV Bill: $98 a month for Cable (4 DVR's in all rooms) and 12.0 Internet ($88 for the first 10 months, then referral goes away, then $118 on the 13th month when I lose the $20 credit).

I'm pretty excited.

Thanks for the responses, I called Direct TV and inquired about some packages. After their entry discount ends I really don't end up saving anything. So I'm just gonna stay with TW I've always had good luck with them, and no need for an aweful dish in my yard. I'm sure they're great for other's applications, but not for me at this time.

Thanks everyone