Another shooting. Children dead. Term "Assault Rifle" being used as primary weapon

Rustlestiltskin

I feel like I say this ad nauseum.

A shovel is a tool for shoveling. Its specific purpose is to move dirt. It just happens to be good at killing things when used for that purpose.

A gun is a tool for killing. It is not good for tilling earth. It is not good for constructing buildings. It is not good for ensuring proper bolt tightness. It is not good for most tasks other than killing.

I can't help but categorize this in the same realm as reducto at hitlerum. It's freaking silly.

Quit Hitlerin up this thread.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A shovel is a tool for shoveling. Its specific purpose is to move dirt. It just happens to be good at killing things when used for that purpose.

A gun is a tool for killing. It is not good for tilling earth. It is not good for constructing buildings. It is not good for ensuring proper bolt tightness. It is not good for most tasks other than killing.

I can't help but categorize this in the same realm as reducto at hitlerum. It's freaking silly.

a HAMMER is a tool but when used to kill, said hammer is a weapon. that better?

a HAMMER is a tool but when used to kill, said hammer is a weapon. that better?

You're misunderstanding my argument. I'm not saying that calling a gun a tool is inaccurate, I'm saying the argument that all tools should be treated equally is silly.

Dynamite is also a tool. It's very good at helping us access minerals in the earth and is way more efficient than a pickaxe. Does that mean every American should be able to stock their toolshed full of it?

The "NO ONE IS TRYING TO BAN HAMMERS" argument is just as silly as the "EVERYONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HAVE DYNAMITE" argument IMO.

You're misunderstanding my argument. I'm not saying that calling a gun a tool is inaccurate, I'm saying the argument that all tools should be treated equally is silly.

Dynamite is also a tool. It's very good at helping us access minerals in the earth and is way more efficient than a pickaxe. Does that mean every American should be able to stock their toolshed full of it?

The "NO ONE IS TRYING TO BAN HAMMERS" argument is just as silly as the "EVERYONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO HAVE DYNAMITE" argument IMO.

May be we should start calling guns as hole punchers? Guns make excellent holes.

A gun is a tool. It is the greatest tool ever created for stopping a government from tyrannically controlling the population.

No one needs 400hp cars either. Let's put limits on HP and have yearly inspections to make sure cars remain stock.

For every person killed by a gun, THREE die via vehicle. If we're going to spend the time and money making new laws in order to save lives, let's start where there's a larger opportunity for improvement. Let's get a better quality of driver on the road.

A gun is a tool with many purposes. To simplify it to a matter of being "designed to kill" is disingenuous reduction, and implying of evil intent. On the contrary, the primary function of the firearms I purchase is to defend. Or the exact opposite of the implied intent liberals apply to all guns in general, in attempt to hammer (get it, hammer) home the message that gun-owners are violent, by nature of the desire to own firearms.

honestly one of the biggest drives for me with firearms is historical interest. i dont own a ar at the moment. worried about the possibility of not being able to buy one in the future. i would be more pissed though if i couldnt buy a m1 garand or m1a/m14. (dont get me wrong i want to build a ar or three.) they are not killing machines to me. they are something i enjoy shooting a sport like golf that i can improve my skill at on my own. to me a day at the range can be very relaxing. just like golf for some. hell i love snakes think they are some of the most beautiful creatures god ever put on this earth... others think only good snake is a dead one.

My point being that a hammer is designed to exert a large amount of force on a specific point whether it be to pound in a nail, knock something loose, crush something, or kill someone. A gun is designed to send a particular sized projectile to a target with relative accuracy and dependability whether its target shooting, hunting, or killing someone. Both of these tools are used far more often in the act of NOT killing someone than they are used in the act OF killing something so why is a gun a killing machine and a hammer is a useful tool.

honestly one of the biggest drives for me with firearms is historical interest. i dont own a ar at the moment. worried about the possibility of not being able to buy one in the future. i would be more pissed though if i couldnt buy a m1 garand or m1a/m14. (dont get me wrong i want to build a ar or three.) they are not killing machines to me. they are something i enjoy shooting a sport like golf that i can improve my skill at on my own. to me a day at the range can be very relaxing. just like golf for some. hell i love snakes think they are some of the most beautiful creatures god ever put on this earth... others think only good snake is a dead one.

I feel the same way. Although I do own an AR, I mainly am interested is historical background of firearms. I'm slowly picking up fun older war relic rifles n what not and hope to have some pistols soon.

I understand what your saying, I'm just pointing out that the media is stuck in black & white over looking the grey area.

A gun is a tool. It is the greatest tool ever created for stopping a government from tyrannically controlling the population.

Except when that government has Drones... and missiles, and fighter jets, and tanks.

Do you legitimately believe that a rag tag group of gun owners can legitimately mount such a defense? Do ARs really make the battle symmetrical? It isn't the nineteenth century anymore.

Question two, In a percentage 0-100: how far along are we on a path in which we have to "defend ourselves from a tyrannical government"?

Except when that government has Drones... and missiles, and fighter jets, and tanks.

Do you legitimately believe that a rag tag group of gun owners can legitimately mount such a defense? Do ARs really make the battle symmetrical? It isn't the nineteenth century anymore.

Look at what a bunch of ragtag gun owners has done in Afghanistan, no they're not winning a war but they're being a huge pain in the ass.

Look at what a bunch of ragtag gun owners has done in Afghanistan, no they're not winning a war but they're being a huge pain in the ass.

So do you believe a tyrannical government that necessitated overthrow would handle Afghanistan the same way the insurgency has been addressed by the US?

So do you believe a tyrannical government that necessitated overthrow would handle Afghanistan the same way the insurgency has been addressed by the US?

Syria might be a better example. The government opposition is doing very well against modern military equipment.

A few AKs can get you access to much more advanced gear if you use them correctly.