Goodbye Unlocked Smartphones

Exodus

I read another article that was much more in-depth. I believe that some phones are sold unlocked even if the carrier has the option to lock it (iPhone 5 on Verizon was cited as an example).

Also, I believe this only applies to phones sold at the insanely discounted prices when you sign a contract. So if you were to go in and pay full retail price without signing a new contract, your phone is unlocked.

Additionally, contrary to what was posted by Mowgli, the other thing I read said that after the contract is up they will unlock it for you, though you still can't do it yourself.

Again, this was all just what I read through another source.

When the company is so heavily subsidizing your price, I can understand them not wanting to you unlock the phone to access a bunch of shit they'd rather monetize. Pay full retail, get what you want, simple as that.

PS: get the jellybeans ROM from xda.

Best of both worlds without losing spen fun.

I'm rooted and unlocked using CASUAL. Then I deleted SDM 1.0, so they cannot get to my phone. Fuck em.

Speaking of S-Pen....Download "Button Savior".

... after the contract is up they will unlock it for you, though you still can't do it yourself.

I will believe that when I see it.

I know of no carrier anywhere who currently does this, much less even maintains the technical expertise in their employee base to even offer it. I do not see them suddenly ramping up on the capability to do so across their myriad sales and support channels.

I would sooner expect monkeys to fly out of my ass.

But yes in fact according to the wording of the legislation the restriction on unlocking does remain in effect even after the initial contract expires.

All its saying is if you get a discounted price with a contract you cant unlock it yourself and activate it with another carrier. Like Jones said, Verizon is still on cdma for a while so they are less likely to even see any locked phones issues. T-Mobile and ATT will see it more often as they both sell GSM phones.

Its not saying you cant have your unlocked phones Chris. However, if you chose to get a locked (discounted) phone the carrier doesnt have to let you activate it on another companies network. A lot of it is tied to the contracts and expecting so much money back over the 2 years to pay for the discount given. Most people wont even be impacted because when people jump ship they usually use it as an opportunity to buy a new phone anyway.

I know of no carrier anywhere who currently does this, much less even maintains the technical expertise in their employee base to even offer it. I do not see them suddenly ramping up on the capability to do so across their myriad sales and support channels.

But yes in fact according to the wording of the legislation the restriction on unlocking does remain in effect even after the initial contract expires.

Unlocking can be done through customer service. Typically its done for customers that want to activate their phones with a different carrier when they travel over seas. Helps them save a lot of money as they pay local rates instead of roaming rates.

That explains why VZW pushed that update to my Note the other day. FU, Verizon!

Samsung is trying to fix the exynos exploit before people start making apps that could wipe your data or brick your phone. I think mobile wallet was in that update too. Im also pretty sure it did take out one way to root the phone because it was linked to that.. but you can still root it other ways.

Heres some quick info on it exynos exploit...

http://tech2.in.com/news/smartphones/samsung-gives-official-statement-on-exynos-exploit-working-on-fix/655602

Carriers could care less if you root smart phones these days because it was made legal back in like October.

Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute lawfully obtained software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications with computer programs on the telephone handset.

Customers like being able to do it so companies sell phones that do it. The manufacturers on the other hand still say it voids your warranty.

3x and I'm out

AT&T unlocked my iPhone 4 once it was out of contract. Took a 5 minute phone call and an update via iTunes. Super easy.

Unlocking can be done through customer service. Typically its done for customers that want to activate their phones with a different carrier when they travel over seas. Helps them save a lot of money as they pay local rates instead of roaming rates.

Called Verizon retail locations in Dublin, Tuttle area, Grandview, Upper Arlington, and Hilliard. As well as the micro stores in Best Buy and the Tuttle mall. None offer it, know how to do it ("officially" - a couple of the counter kids said they did) or even think their parent company allows it. two store managers also chimed in with a wtf?

Luckily I root my own shit, but still.

Called Verizon retail locations in Dublin, Tuttle area, Grandview, Upper Arlington, and Hilliard. As well as the micro stores in Best Buy and the Tuttle mall. None offer it, know how to do it ("officially" - a couple of the counter kids said they did) or even think their parent company allows it. two store managers also chimed in with a wtf?

Luckily I root my own shit, but still.

Oh, I think you are mixing up rooting with unlocking? If so the employees are not allowed to help you root because it voids the warranty.