2001 S4 starter bolt HELP

STEVE-O

2001 auto s4 have everything off except the last bolt on the top of the starter. I have no clue how they expect for you to get to it. Has anyone possibly done one before and can guide me in the right direction?

Almost the worst location for a starter to be placed. I have looked at all the forums and the only thing I could find was to ge in through the back of the subframe but I can not even see where the starter is from there.

Found this on Audizine, hope it helps:

Replacing Starter DIY

remove headlights and bumper, disconnect battery

remove all rad support bolts and just slide it forward (dont disconnect coolant)

17mm on tensioner to get the accy belt off

8mm allen and 13mm bolts to get the alternator off ... once its loose undo the plug and 13mm on the back of the alternator

pry/tap the alternator out of the way and take it out ...

undo the connector and 13mm on the starter (use a deep socket 13mm), undo the AC line holder (13mm nut), intercooler hardpipe (2 - 5mm allen) and IC hose, and also the turbo outlet coupler (i take if off all as 1 big piece)

now undo the 16mm bolts holding the starter in ... u have to go in from the back of the subframe ... the bottom bolt has a 16mm nut on the front side that you can hold with a long extension on a rachet ...

once the bolts are off, you can just barely finagle the starter out ...

reinstallation is reverse of removal :-)

I read that but going in from the back by the subframe is what gets me I can't even begin to see the bolt. You can see it from the front with everything off but can't get to it from the rear. I got a guy on the way who says he has done them before so we will see. Dealer wants almost 1000 to do the job I hope to be done with it and come in under 300 total