Firearm Auction Thu Feb 7th Portsmouth, OH

Doc1647545523

I went. There were deals if buying for yourself...there weren't any "what I call deals" at this sale.

To be honest here I was quite disappointed with how the sale went. Thursday the gun sale was alright but I think the auctioneer messed up with the order he sold things. He sold Shotguns second. After the shotguns went he went off and sold the motorcycle. During this process he lost 1/2 of his crowd. Its like he just went off topic and everyone started leaving.

What REALLY made me mad is Saturday. He had flats numbered and he said to write down numbers of the flats that you want. So we did exactly that. Well the selling started and there was 0 order to his chaos of selling. Just random pulling off tables all over the place. You had to watch the auction VERY closely.

2nd there were people there (i'm assuming locals) dictating what to sell. They would go up talk to the 2 gentlemen behind the tables pulling up flats and they would get them to sell things. Again no order to anything.

3rd at the end of Saturday they sold the boxes for almost every gun sold on Thursday. This was very disappointing. I'm sure the people that left before finding this out would be completely pissed knowing they had the boxes.

4th Saturday again about half way through he detoured again and sold the motorcycle and some other things and BAM again lost 1/2 of his crowd.

5th He sold the reloader and dies. The reloader was in 2 separate boxes. One which we bought not because we wanted the reloaded but because the dies we wanted were attached to the turrets. So i'm sure the guy that bought the reloader wasn't happy he got an incomplete reloader. He was selling the dies as if they were complete in the boxes. We bought about 4 boxes and realized half of them were empty and were in other boxes or on the turrets.

Basically what i'm saying is that if he knew anything about guns or an auctioneer that specialized in guns would have brought A LOT more money to this auction.

Doc I know you said this gentleman was a friend of yours but he needs to study up on his firearms. He didn't know what anything was. People were going around telling him that this is not an XXX its an XXX.

I spent about $1500, my uncle spent around $2000.

Wes, thanks for the feedback. He is a good friend and he'll be appreciative of your observations. He does general auctions, everything from simple household items to land and real estate. He depended a lot on the seller's family for gun advice, as he's no expert in them.

It sounds like it was frustrating to be there as a buyer. Sorry if I steered you wrong, but thanks for the feedback.

No you didn't steer me wrong at all. We go to a lot of gun auctions/shows. I really enjoy going to them, always looking for deals. I debated leaving him some feedback somewhere but didn't want to be negative so hopefully channeling it through you will help him if he ever does another gun auction.

I went to one in springfield last night and watched 6 or 7 3rd gen glocks go for over retail of the gen4's. Gun auctions are always a crap shoot.