bat in my attic

Mallard

I've been dealing with an animal in my attic for a cooked weeks now and I'm pretty sure I have a bat. The bat removal company is pretty expensive, so I'm not looking forward to paying for the service. Has anyone here ever had bats in their attic? How did you remove them?

We had a bat get in our house in college, except it ended up down stairs after flying down the chimney.

We ended up noticing it after it was circling with our ceiling fan. The removal process looked a lot like the scene from the John Candy classic "The Great Outdoors". We got the bat out, but broke a lamp and spilled some beer during the mission.

Cliffs: Bats are scary

Pelet or bb gun lol or a net and catch it. Quit being a girl

The attic has several levels and lately I hear it in an area that I cannot access unless I take a ladder up there with me (but there's no structure for the ladder to stand on). It's always under the fiberglass batting (or possibly in the wall at times) so it's difficult to find, and of course they are not interested in traps, bait, etc. Also, they hibernate in the winter, so it's not always active, and most of the time it would be when I'm asleep, which makes the sucker difficult to find.

I've heard of people using the sticky traps near the access point, but I'm not positive where that is yet. I have two ideas though. One is easily accessible, the other requires me to do some yoga.

Bats are a protected species in Michigan, but if it finds its way into my living room that suckers going down.

Get rid of it. They can carry many diseases and parasites. That being said, I've caught young, wild ones and even had one for a pet soooo many years ago. lol

I would lure it out with a few chapters of reading from the Twilight series. If that doesn't cause it to ram its head into the wall repeatedly until dead...

(continued on a serious note)

wait until after dusk and start patching up the entrance/exit points until spring when all the little asshole English House sparrows peck holes thru it all again.

If it's a bat it has to eat and around dusk it or they will head out for awhile. Have you actually seen it? Are you sure this is the case?

Could be super smart rats who've developed the capabilities of flight...

Get rid of it. They can carry many diseases and parasites. That being said, I've caught young, wild ones and even had one for a pet soooo many years ago. lol

I would lure it out with a few chapters of reading from the Twilight series. If that doesn't cause it to ram its head into the wall repeatedly until dead...

(continued on a serious note)

wait until after dusk and start patching up the entrance/exit points until spring when all the little asshole English House sparrows peck holes thru it all again.

If it's a bat it has to eat and around dusk it or they will head out for awhile. Have you actually seen it? Are you sure this is the case?

Could be super smart rats who've developed the capabilities of flight...

I have not seen it. I hear scratching, I've found poop, I've set all different kinds of traps with different bits and they have been left untouched. Two nights ago it started squeeking really loud, but I can't get to that part of the attic. It's definitely not a squirrel, raccoon or chipmunk, and a mouse should have taken the bait. All signs point to bat.

You're right. Why don't I post pictures of myself killing a protected species so everyone can see.

No one on CR Cares and it's all just internet BS if anyone really does give a crap. I have no problem killing any bat. BS about protected species, yadda, yadda.....my family's health and home > than ANY protected species of anything. If anyone or group cares, have them pay off your mortgage then they can say something. Otherwise tell them to blow you.

Kill it.

No one on CR Cares and it's all just internet BS if anyone really does give a crap. I have no problem killing any bat. BS about protected species, yadda, yadda.....my family's health and home > than ANY protected species of anything. If anyone or group cares, have them pay off your mortgage then they can say something. Otherwise tell them to blow you.

Kill it.

Gonna have to get ya for this one. Your blind ignorance in this particular case and wanton bloodlust could actually end up doing more harm than good to those you want to protect. Especially compared to a possibly easy removal. I'll forgo any talks of possible "law-breaking" since I know you'd be smart enough to not take video and pics and post it all over Facebook... watermarked or not. ;)

If I kill it I sure as he'll won't post about it on a public forum. I'm looking for ways to lure it out of my attic and keep it out.

Lucky for you this is a private forum based in Ohio. You never know the MI authorities may have infiltrated us to see if you are killing bats in your home.

Gonna have to get ya for this one. Your blind ignorance in this particular case and wanton bloodlust could actually end up doing more harm than good to those you want to protect. Especially compared to a possibly easy removal. I'll forgo any talks of possible "law-breaking" since I know you'd be smart enough to not take video and pics and post it all over Facebook... watermarked or not. ;)

of course if it's easier to just remove it, I would support that. overall my point about bats is there always seems to be more around "protecting" them, especially if endangered, than the humans involved. To that I say screw it, kill'em if necessary. No blood-lust here. Just zero crap given to laws that protects bats before my family.

of course if it's easier to just remove it, I would support that. overall my point about bats is there always seems to be more around "protecting" them, especially if endangered, than the humans involved. To that I say screw it, kill'em if necessary. No blood-lust here. Just zero crap given to laws that protects bats before my family.

haha You know I'm yanking your chain. Seriously, though, the moment a creature dies, most of its parasites, includind the disease carrying ones, immediately jump ship. The closest warm body that night will be your families while you sleep.

Of course, there's always the chance of blood borne or air borne disease not to mention the possible transmission of rabies, as well while someone's trying to smash it.