Information regarding the purchasing of used SCT Programmers

DTM Brian

Guys and Gals.

I have had a number people contact me to tune their vehicles with an X3 they have bought used. Here are some of my thoughts when looking to purchase a used SCT device.

1. First off. SCT dealers do not have the "legal" ability to unlock a SCT device if it is still married to a vehicle. To be "unlocked" and reset to "5 unlocks left" it will need to go to SCT for the cost of $150.00.

2. Although I have never seen it done there are rumors floating around that some people have figured a way to reset the X3 unlocked without going back to SCT. So yes you get a X3 at a reduced cost without having to send it back to SCT for the $150.00 fee. The downside to this is you will not get any support from SCT should the device need repair.

3. All SCT devices are tracked with the serial number found both on the back of the device and in the device info screen. If you are looking to buy a used SCT device I going to encourage you to ask the seller for the serial number so you can call SCT to find out the history of the device. They can tell look up the original dealer who purchased the device along with any repairs or issues with it if it was handled through SCT. If the seller is not willing to give you the serial number chances are there is something they are trying to hide from you. Take the extra time to call SCT with the serial number of device before making the purchase.

BUYER BEWARE If you find a X3 that is unlocked with 5 unlocks left and it has never been to SCT to be reset. SCT will not support this device and will want to know where you bought it from.

4. If you are considering the purchase of a SCT device and bringing it to me to tune I encourage you to get in contact with me first before picking up a device. Chances are you will save a little money buying the device from me and it will also be a new device compared to a one where you do not know the history of it.

5. Feel free to ask me any questions that you have.

• Casper unlocked this topic