CR gardeners - bunch of questions

evan9381

im thinking this year of getting a small garden together. i just want to grow some blueberries, raspberries, maybe some banana and jalapeno peppers, and maybe a tomato plant or two. just enough for me, and maybe the occasional guests

now i dont have a great yard, but i've got a good size patio, and was thinking of maybe building a box to set on the patio and fill with soil. is this a good/viable idea for what i want to do? if how much room/volume would i need to build this thing? what kind of soil should i use? i know i can buy bagged stuff, but i would think that could get expensive. should i put it in an area thats in the sun during the whole day? my back door faces north, so i can put it on the far edge of the patio and it'd have sun all day. anything else i should consider? and when would be the best time to start planting this stuff?

thanks in advance. im sure there's a lot im missing, as i've never done anything like this, but would like to try my hand and have some good fresh produce.

thanks in advance