wheel shopping

Miller

I'm about to get a set of wheels. I'm almost certain they will be 10 inch out back and 9 up front. I cruise and have grown quite fond of going to the track.

What I don't know is if these wheels will be 16, 17 or 18 inch diameter. What are the performance benefits, aside from weight? Lettuce get in-depth on what you would do with a cruise/track car in need of shoes.

Maybe I phrased this wrong. I don't care what style or brand of wheel you want or if it has 9 lugs. What wheel would you get if you want grip and g's? I want to know for a car that goes to Nelson ledges or MO a few times a year what wheel offers the best performance? Does a 17 offer best balance? Will a 16 inch wheel/tire offer better noob friendly feedback?

I think the answer you are looking for will have mostly to with what tires are in the correct height and width that will leave you an appropriate sidewall. The tire choices in said sizes will also influence the final decision. So it's going to depend on the car in question, which you didn't post. Also if it's a fun driver, or a track car your type of tire will also influence. There isn't one set correct rim diameter, it's a lot of factors coming together to form the best compromise for you and your goals.

It's for the Fox.

I think similar to my Camaro you'll find 17s giving you the most choices and good sizes. I'm sure you would be fine with 18s as well, but you'll want to keep wheel and tire weight down to save on unsprung weight. I suggest putting together a few options and looking at the pros and cons of each. It sounds like you'll be happy with a good extreme performance summer tire on a quality lightweight wheel. You go to a streetable "road race" style street tire at the expense of money and wear. I loved my Toyo R888s I had last year, but they were worn completely after 6-7 autocrosses, 1 track day,and 5-6k miles of street driving thrown in.

From searching 17s and 18s for ANY car, you're better off with 17" wheels and tires. Uses you go high-dollar, the 18" wheels will be heavier, and guaranteed to be more expensive. If you add in track-duty - and tire consumption - you're better off with 17s.

See my thread about downsizing from 18s to 17s for my Passat; waaaay cheaper wheel/tire options if I go 17s.

From searching 17s and 18s for ANY car, you're better off with 17" wheels and tires. Uses you go high-dollar, the 18" wheels will be heavier, and guaranteed to be more expensive. If you add in track-duty - and tire consumption - you're better off with 17s.

See my thread about downsizing from 18s to 17s for my Passat; waaaay cheaper wheel/tire options if I go 17s.

Not too concerned on pricing but I want good performance. I saw guys on 16's saying that the wheel offered "friendlier response" and cushion while turning. The 17 had ultimately better performance if used correctly. And I think the 17 looks best out of the 3 but I was hoping someone could elaborate.