thoughts on m&p9 fs

Ramsey

My brother just bought one new and he and my cousin shot it. They said it was very unpredictable and didnt seem to group at all. They are both very beginner shooters but were shooting a 1911 also and that seemed dead on. They were talking distances of like 20 feet and changes of 6-8 inches. They shot about 200 rounds out of the m&p.

Rarely is it the gun, but the shooter. I'm assuming stance, grip and sight picture are to blame for the spread of rounds. Overall, it's a spot on pistol, but not 1911 accuracy.

Is there a break-in period on the gun that would effect how it shoots?

When I first got my m&p 9c, I swore the sights were off because I was shooting down and left. I did some google searches and it turns out it was user error.

Knowing this, I corrected my trigger pull technique, which corrected the down part, leaving me shooting left at about 7" groupings.

After Joe's CCW class, I pulled the groupings in about 2 or 3 inches, so that I am grouping about 4" with it. It's still a bit left of center, 3" left, 1" right, but I'm getting there.

User error, practice, and instruction and they will both love it.

When I first got my m&p 9c, I swore the sights were off because I was shooting down and left. I did some google searches and it turns out it was user error.

Knowing this, I corrected my trigger pull technique, which corrected the down part, leaving me shooting left at about 7" groupings.

After Joe's CCW class, I pulled the groupings in about 2 or 3 inches, so that I am grouping about 4" with it. It's still a bit left of center, 3" left, 1" right, but I'm getting there.

User error, practice, and instruction and they will both love it.

Thats what i was kind of thinking. But when i googled it, there were threads saying the guns had issues.

They both will soon be taking Joes class. Sounds like i might need just range lesson or two from Joe.

M&P9s are hit and miss. I'm pretty sure only the M&P9 Full size models are affected, but yeah- some of them don't group at all. Most will group much better with either light or heavy bullets- mine likes 124gr+ better than lighter bullets but still is one of the least accurate pistols I've ever owned. You can google it, but S&W jacked up the timing on the unlocking of the barrel. Last I checked into it it affected about 1 in 4, but generally the M&P9fs is very inaccurate.

You can get an aftermarket barrel and it will fix anything. Have fun spending $200 to get your $500 pistol to shoot as well as it should from the factory.

My M&P 45 had a trigger break in period that was pretty obvious. I'm not even an expert on hand guns, but it felt like it had sand in the mechanism for about 200 rounds then it cleared up very nicely. I read this was normal on the M&P line and have never bothered with a trigger job or anything, just normal cleaning.

I have probably 750 rounds through my 9c without a single cleaning, and haven't had any issues at all. I stated above about the learning curve with this gun, but overall, its very consistent, and easy to shoot.

once I get 1000 rounds through it, it'll get a full, detailed cleaning, and then relegated to CCW status.

I have a trigger job on my fullsize M&P, and a little over 4,500 rounds through it. No problems here. Just slow down, concentrate on your front sight and apply pressure slowly. Remember to breath, to many people hold thier breath in anticipation.

While taking my time I can get 2.5-2.75" groups at 20'. Range time is key.