Tetsuya Tada-Behind the Scenes Story-FRS/BRZ/FT86

ImUrOBGYN

Good read. There's been quite a bit of speculation on the subject. Supposedly, he will be talking more in depth about it at a later date. I'll try to post any updates when they come for those interested.

Since its launch last summer, the Toyota GT86 has received multiple awards for its no-nonsense, fun-to-drive philosophy.

But without unprecedented collaboration between two Japanese carmakers and major backing from on high within Toyota, it might never have happened.

Andrew English recently spoke with GT86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada, who explained the complicated behind-the-scenes story that led to the most acclaimed sports car of the past decade.

In the end, this is a story of how the development of this remarkable car overcame obstacles and forged a grudging and mutual respect between two teams of engineers, both of whom were working for very different companies.

Here’s Tada-san’s story, in his own words.

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/tada-how-toyota-and-subaru-created-the-gt86

I hate how these are soley focused on the Toyota imaging, and barley acknowleging the Subarus parts of them

There are so many Subie fans around here, I feel quite the opposite, generally. Many of the Subie engineers have spoke out considerably. For me, it's nice to finally here some more from Toyota's side (Though I have been following every scrap of development since the beginning, anyway). They've had much more involvement then many initially believed.

Still, much like a child, both parents have made something better than their whole and the auto world is better for it.

As stated in the article are people worried about a return on their investment or is it more likely they are disillusioned with the high price of cars these days? People fell in love with cars because of what they represented and the fact they were actually attainable. I often hear stories from my dad of all the cool cars(even for their day) he bought as a kid for no more than a paycheck or 2, used of course. Nowadays I would need to finance a used car for the same length as a new one and have a very similar price tag.

You probably said the same thing about the NSX right?? Crying about a handling car not going fast in a straight line is just stupid. If you want a car thats fast in a straight line get one that's built for it.

Careful there Ben--you'll confuse him.