Any comments/opinions on using solar energy to heat your home?

Rustlestiltskin

Ive just been looking into alternative heating sources just out of curiosity and came upon solar Home heating alternatives. Anyone know about more about this or know somebody who has this?

Some of these kits will provide endless heat for homes and provide hot water.

I'm wondering if you could get a setup that will give you electric, heat, and hot water?

Here's a link to a company I stumbled upon while looking around tonite.

http://www.beawindhog.com/home-solar-heating.html

I have solar for my place. I generate 110% of the electricity that I used last year before I installed the system.

We made lots of changes after the install... All led/high efficient bulbs. Greener appliances etc.

As it is right now, I pay only on my solar (51bucks) monthly and then my natural gas usage. At the end of the year I should be getting a decent check from the electric company for the amount of electricity I produced and didn't use.

Granted this is my house in Denver where we get 300 plus days of sunshine.

I know if you add panels and they add value to your home you don't have to pay tax on that value.

You're probably going to spend a lot more to start then you will save initially, which is obvious.

Depending on where you decide to put them, make sure your house supports having panels as far as sunlight and you don't have any large buildings around you that will block sunlight.

What about geothermal?

Unless it's a new build, geothermal is pretty pricey on an existing home.

If you are building new geothermal is a no-brainier. However it doesn't satisfy OP's requirements as it appears he just wants a system to take load off of the hot water (as geothermal just reduces delta T needed on the HVAC unit)

Unless it's a new build, geothermal is pretty pricey on an existing home.

If you are building new geothermal is a no-brainier. However it doesn't satisfy OP's requirements as it appears he just wants a system to take load off of the hot water (as geothermal just reduces delta T needed on the HVAC unit)

I'm not looking for a system to just take the load off of hot water. I'm looking for a system that will be self sufficient in generating heat and electricity.