awesome sounding rx7 engines

The_buster

• 1 month later...
Uninformed and pistons seem to be doing well in this thread. Carry on.

That was me being sarcastic. I do very well know that a rotary can make power, torque isn't as good as a piston motor though from what I have seen. Besides, I know rotaries only get a bad rap because the ones that blow up (for the most part) belong to people who don't know how to take care of them. My issue with rotaries is efficiency, they burn more gas than a larger piston engine would. I have a rx-7 myself and I drove one for a while that was rotary. I explored the idea of building a rotary, but pistons seem better suited for my goals.

That was me being sarcastic. I do very well know that a rotary can make power, torque isn't as good as a piston motor though from what I have seen. Besides, I know rotaries only get a bad rap because the ones that blow up (for the most part) belong to people who don't know how to take care of them. My issue with rotaries is efficiency, they burn more gas than a larger piston engine would. I have a rx-7 myself and I drove one for a while that was rotary. I explored the idea of building a rotary, but pistons seem better suited for my goals.

I can appreciate that. Not big on torque, in comparision to what most are use to seeing with pistion motors, is a known. Being sarcastic with " they don't make power" is very subjective. That's why I replied with what I did. Also, no knowing you were being sarcastic.

Wow. One of them "got it".

Wagner, didn't we just have this talk the other day about how ignorant most people are about rotaries?

how hard are they to maintain? id love to get a white fc for drifting... of course it woul need a red suns sticker

Spark plugs and oil more frequently than a piston motor. Run the piss out of them, they love to redline (keeps carbon from building up and making an apex seal stick). And the #1 thing, keep an eye on temps. Rotaries do not take well at all to overheating. Another thing to look out for is the oil metering pump. If you go to buy one, ask the previous owner how often he has to add a quart of oil, if the PO says it does not burn oil then ask if they premix, if not, walk away.

by premix are you talking adding the little bottles of chainsaw oil to the gas? I remember a kid with a red fd in pataskala doing that.

Yes. If the OMP does not work, most people just add a couple ounces of 2 cycle oil to a full tank. I can't remember exactly how much or what the ratio is though.