2.3 Turbo poootential?

99StockGT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya I've never built anything like this before, done old school muscle, newer V8, TT V6... never an old school low tech turbo 4. As for how far we'll BUILD...we'll see. Anyone have a 3 bedroom 8 car garage for sale cheap? :)

If you plan on messing with the cylinder head you have several options:

1. http://www.bo-port.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=60

2. http://www.esslingeracing.com/home.htm

3. modding the volvo 16 valve to fit

I know you said "low buck" - but just for the heck of it, check this out:

Roush raced 2.3L turbo Merkurs (they later convinced the rules makers that Merkur's came w/V8's in Australia and switched). A friend of mine worked there doing the transmission prep, I was told Roush was building there own billet aluminum heads - put a block of aluminum in the CNC machie and 8 hours later, they had a head. I don't know how many ever got built or where they would have ended up, but I'm sure uber rare.

I know you said "low buck" - but just for the heck of it, check this out:

Roush raced 2.3L turbo Merkurs (they later convinced the rules makers that Merkur's came w/V8's in Australia and switched). A friend of mine worked there doing the transmission prep, I was told Roush was building there own billet aluminum heads - put a block of aluminum in the CNC machie and 8 hours later, they had a head. I don't know how many ever got built or where they would have ended up, but I'm sure uber rare.

Oh I've been YouTubing away lately trying to figure out what to do, how far to go. Seems like you can get some pretty decent performance out of these things without a ton of money. Just doing some homework before posting the official project thread and getting started.

Not sure I really need a terrible 80s car that runs 10s...but...well ya never know :dumb:

Oh I've been YouTubing away lately trying to figure out what to do, how far to go. Seems like you can get some pretty decent performance out of these things without a ton of money. Just doing some homework before posting the official project thread and getting started.

Not sure I really need a terrible 80s car that runs 10s...but...well ya never know :dumb:

Nothing wrong with a terrible 80's car that runs 10's.

What were you running for spark/fuel or was this a stock setup beyond what you have listed here? Intercooler or no? Not really looking to turn this thing into a purpose built drag car but hopefully something still streetable/reliable that runs a 12.xx sounds good to me.

It was stock with 35lb injectors and msd brand o/e replacement. Non-intercooled I fabbed a pice of 90* 2.5 or 3in exhaust pipe (i dont recall) the bov mount bracket welded and sealed on it. Not the best choice to run but it beats the hell out of the factory cork of an intercooler.

If you want a consistant hastle free 12.xx I woukd stop by turboford.org there is a sponsored aftermarket web site with complete kits for this motor. http://www.stinger-performance.com/ Invest in the tubular headder and a bigger turbo something like a 35r and some 42lb injectors. Get yourself a decent front mount intercooler and set the boost around 25psi. The stock headgasket is good for that if you're not pushing full boost 24/7. There's a lot of guys running these things on a megasquirt set up. Hell there's even a guy on turboford that builds them plug and play into the factory ecu box. They use to go for $600 idk if the prices have changed. Invest in those few things. And you'll love yourself for it lol.

Edited by Red Beard

Oh I'm already learning my way around turboford.org and stinger. Totally different beast than what I'm used to but my ears are ringing with potential. Had you done a T5 swap or do that on the T9? Hard to believe just injectors, better spark, and more boost on the stock turbo in one of these little things can wipe the floor with cars designed to be so much faster...but I'm digging it!

Lol I seriously doubt this lil 4 banger with tiny tires in the back and retro sexy will want me to get away from the pure redneck sex appeal of the Syclone...but if it does I'm sure I could find a buyer or two.

It will. I'm a patient person....

the 2.3 turbo motors are a blast and the are a pretty bullet proof motor to begin with. the easiest way to make power with those is to get rid of the restrictive head and with a dohc volvo head. cut and rotate the intake 90' so its not running over the top of the motor. get a stinger 3'' down pipe, slap on a front mount and up the boost a little and you should have a fun low 13 sec car for cheap.ohhh and decent gas mileage. i have built one of these mine was a auto though and it was fun as hell.

I guess maybe I just have a mental block that these things can be fast. Can't imagine for such a small motor, for such a small cost, I can completely destroy anything else I own in a straight line. And then get 30+ MPG when I'm not flogging it

I guess maybe I just have a mental block that these things can be fast. Can't imagine for such a small motor, for such a small cost, I can completely destroy anything else I own in a straight line. And then get 30+ MPG when I'm not flogging it

It is a little hard to believe, isn't it. I was happy when my Turbo Coupe was able to hang with a new Camaro RS and it doesn't have anything major done to it. I was able to drive home from Atlanta, GA on 7/8 tank of gas. I Averaged 33mpg going 75-80mph. What vehicle you have with a 2.3T?

Maybe I'll bolt up a duel exhaust from a Mustang GT like a lot of the V6s around here, that will make me feel more at home. I have no problem with a little 4cyl old school being "quick fun nimble" or "sporty"...I just have an issue with it running down my car that gets half the gas milage sounds much sexier and gets the chicks.

There's just something not quite 'Merican about that. Not saying I won't enjoy the hell out of it and pimp it old school with Converse hightops and tube socks though.

Couple project cars in mind...haven't made a firm decision yet though.

Whatever you decide to do with the exhaust make shure it is a straight flow through. I ran into a bit of a scare when mine loaded up and decided to blow the muffer appart. Sounded like a shotgun going off insidethe cab lol. I use to have a pic of the muffler. It looked like I tried to shoot a golfball through the back flange hahahahaa!!! Glass packs are cheap and keep this from happening

How do these things sound with that kind of exhaust? I realllllly can't stand the high pitched scream of civic types...makes me do a twitch and feel like I'm back in the "Fast and Furious" days. I realize they aren't going to sound as deep hearted and pure american sex as a V8 but what pipe/muffler combo comes out sounding best?

Have to say before I started looking down this path I had NO idea of what all can be done to these things. Whatever happened to just doing basic bolt ons turn up the boost and go fast? I guess another question that needs to be answered is what do you run for tread on these things? If you can put down enough power to run low 12s or even 11s what kind of wheels/tires have you used for the street? Prefer to keep whatever it is as stock LOOKING as possible and most of these lil 80s monsters came with 15"s on the back...so staggered set of 15's? 15x7 in the front 15x9 in the rear?

I miss my setup that used to belong to a couple different people on here, I sold it because at the time my skills weren't developed enough to properly fix it up. The engine and transmission were sitting at Dyno Brian's the last time I saw them, don't know where they are now though.

This thread is pretty timely, I have been considering trying to find an XR4Ti