Napa rotor 7.5 hours into a shitty endurance race

greg1647545532

Rub both friction surfaces of the disc on a flat concrete surface a couple of times, properly weld the disc back on the hat (do it on a lathe to ensure they are at correct orientation), and reuse it for racing. At 7.5 hours track time, the rotor is already seasoned & ready for more action. Don't throw it away.

There's some rust on it, I think you lie about how old they are.

That's heat discoloration. We literally put them on in the paddock the night before. I voted against it because the previous owner said the "old ones" were brembo blanks, but my team overruled me because new is better.

That's heat discoloration. We literally put them on in the paddock the night before. I voted against it because the previous owner said the "old ones" were brembo blanks, but my team overruled me because new is better.

I was just joking bud, did you pull the others out of the trash and finish the race?

I was just joking bud, did you pull the others out of the trash and finish the race?

Oh, woosh.

Yeah. The driver that was out there came in and was like "It's just not driving right." You know how it sucks trying to troubleshoot vague problems? With that outstanding description, I pulled off a random wheel fearing that everything was going to look perfectly normal. I was quite relieved when I saw that, because I know it was going to be a 5 minute fix.

Incidentally, in the video you can see the exact moment the rotor brakes, and the car pulls hard to the right under braking. Why he couldn't describe that to me, I don't know.

We blew up a rear wheel bearing not too long before this happened. That took about an hour to replace, but thank jeebus we had a couple of spares for that as well.

Anyone who would put a chinese rotor on a race car is placing their own life and the lives of those they are racing with in daiger, period.

I mean, it's ChumpCar, so I'm pretty sure everyone's life is already in danger... :) Also, the rotor was made in Venezuela.

I mean, it's ChumpCar, so I'm pretty sure everyone's life is already in danger... :) Also, the rotor was made in Venezuela.

Hey, if you're racing - at some level you are putting your life in danger....

Chump Car, maybe a little more, maybe a little less.

I stand by the Chinese rotor statement - haven't heard much about Venezuelan part quality one way or another, but I may be more suspect now...

This is the first parts-store rotor I've seen fail like this, but I definitely won't be running them anymore. I've always run Brembos on my car, but we were trying to do the ChumpCar thing on the cheapy cheap. A lot of people who race Hondas get away fine with parts store rotors. Cars with 100hp and 2200lbs aren't very hard on the brakes.

I've never seen an el-cheapo-specialo Centric rotor fail like that...then again Centric is owned by StopTech

what brand were those, OP?

Also, video from the Chumpcar race? I want to get in on ChumpCar...Shoot me a PM, honestly

They were Napa branded, I didn't buy them so I can't be more specific but the box said Napa. I fucked up a lot of the video but I'll post what I've got when I get a chance to go through it. It's not pretty though -- we couldn't have been making more than 50 or 60 horsepower, and we kept hitting fuel cut at random times above 5k rpms. Top speed was about 90mph, drag limited. It stopped and turned like a beast, but any advantage I could make in the corners evaporated in about 3 seconds on every straight. Also, Chumpcar is basically Spec E30/E36 now. It's not at all like LeMons. We thought we'd prefer that, but I feel like we brought a LeMons car to a Spec E30 race, and there's not much joy in that.

Custom two part rotors?

probably not worth it on a car like this.....Don't use OEM rotors if you can help it also....They're a tad on the undercapable side for road racing, even at 2200lbs

Are you allowed to uprate brakes? There has to be a bigger OEM rotor setup you can use? You probably don't need anything fancy....just some bigger heat capacity, you know?

I know the 99-00 civic Si can use Corrado G60 along with some other OEM Honda caliper (Legend? I can't remember but a coworker has this setup on her race car)