Find me a Truck

Xyster101

I am all about cars and have almost no interest in trucks. I owned a rusted out '91 Toyota v6, crank window 4x4 for a number of years and loved it. I am moving to Albany NY and they get a ton of snow & salt. All domestic trucks there have rusted rear wheel wells, even 5 years old! I want to buy a low salt one from around here for when I move in June to bring with me.

I want to be able to tow a small trailer with a car to the track, so 7k lbs towing is fine.

Requirements:

4x4

Reliable

Gas (not interested in diesel)

Crew cab, back seat for 2 labs

Towing

Under $22k

Under 75k miles (prolly 50k for domestic)

Less then 7yrs old

Stick? Do they even make them in a stick?

I was looking at Tundra's as the ones in Albany are not rusted at all, unlike Fords and Chevy, but they cost a lot more and are ugly. I like the look of the F150's.

Sorry to hear we're losing you from the area, Max. From your home improvement posts, someone's going to be getting a beautiful house here in Ohio.

I'm a Tundra fan, as they really hold their values. This was my for sale thread, and I probably priced it too low. Even at that, it had nearly no depreciation in 3 years (I bought it new for 5k below sticker). Not many new pickups can claim that: http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97606&highlight=tundra

If you'd consider buying a new Tundra, I have a friend who can quote you a killer price on a new 2012 model. It's more than your preferred price range, but I would think that going up 5k would be more than worth it to get a 0 mile truck with full factory warranty. PM me if you're interested.

Edited by Doc

For 2 dogs, and other stuff, you will LOVE a megacab. Like this one:

http://images.cobaltgroup.com/1/8/6/6794237681x640.jpg

http://www.coughlincars.com/VehicleDetails/used-2008-Dodge-Ram_1500-4WD_Mega_Cab_6.3_Ft_Box_SLT-Chillicothe-OH/1960003553

Back seat turns into this folded down:

http://0.tqn.com/d/alternativefuels/1/0/U/D/-/-/08_RamCummins_cargo.jpg

i have a 2008 2500 dodge ram quad cab im interested in selling.

yes--4x4

definitely--Reliable

5.7 hemi--Gas (not interested in diesel)

quad cab--Crew cab, back seat for 2 labs

of course--Towing

we can talk--Under $22k

i think it might have just turned 60k -- Under 75k miles (prolly 50k for domestic)

2008--Less then 7yrs old

i have a 2008 2500 dodge ram quad cab im interested in selling.

yes--4x4

definitely--Reliable

5.7 hemi--Gas (not interested in diesel)

quad cab--Crew cab, back seat for 2 labs

of course--Towing

we can talk--Under $22k

i think it might have just turned 60k -- Under 75k miles (prolly 50k for domestic)

2008--Less then 7yrs old

Winning??

I was looking at Tundra's as the ones in Albany are not rusted at all, unlike Fords and Chevy,

Don't get the older body style tundra unless it's had the frame replaced.

The 2nd comment is closer to reality from what I've seen of Toyota trucks, lol.

BTW, mine is going back on the market in the next few weeks. 06 QuadCab Ram 4x4, Hemi, 20's, etc:

76756_141931119190017_552426_n.jpg

I was thinking about a Dodge since they come in a manual. I don't know if any brand is more reliable then others, or transmissions had bad years.

What about a 2007 Ram stick shift, 51k miles, Big Horn, $19

Shows a column shifted Auto in the picture bud.

GM trucks also came in a manual as well, but most all of them you find will be paired with the 4.8 V8, which is not a ton of fun. If I remember correctly Dodge only put the manual behind the 4.7 V8 as well, not the hemi. You will be hard pressed to find one in a truck with many options in it... Unless you go diesel :)

• 2 weeks later...

I went and test drove a Silverado 1500 and a Tundra, both new. I get GM Employee discounting as my uncle worked at GM. The Chevy will be around $36k out the door and the Tundra $41k but with 0% APR (until May 3) so it is only $17 more a month. I did like the Tundra better, more power but 3mpg less.

How does one talk prices down even lower? The Chevy is ~$8500 off and the Tundra is $4200 below sticker. Should I wait till July to go new when '14 models come out?

In my opinion, whatever you do get a manual.

If you don't want a rusty truck, get one from Texas. I got mine a 'north texas truck stop'. Also, I added the factory wheel well option for the rear to keep the salt and junk out from the underside of the truck :)

I went and test drove a Silverado 1500 and a Tundra, both new. I get GM Employee discounting as my uncle worked at GM. The Chevy will be around $36k out the door and the Tundra $41k but with 0% APR (until May 3) so it is only $17 more a month. I did like the Tundra better, more power but 3mpg less.

How does one talk prices down even lower? The Chevy is ~$8500 off and the Tundra is $4200 below sticker. Should I wait till July to go new when '14 models come out?

The Chevy should be more than $8500 off if you're using your uncles plan. If you're considering new, there are some great incentives on new GMC's and Chevy's. Be more than happy to throw some numbers together for you on a Sierra.

The Chevy should be more than $8500 off if you're using your uncles plan. If you're considering new, there are some great incentives on new GMC's and Chevy's. Be more than happy to throw some numbers together for you on a Sierra.

I want:

Crew cab

V8 6 speed auto

Short bed

Leather/heated seats if you can

4x4

Blue tooth

I would probably hold out for the 2014 if buying a new gm truck. They have significant improvements over the current model. If they start slashing prices on the 2013 trucks I might be swayed, but otherwise wait.

I've had an `05 V6 4x4 dbl cab tacoma since `05 for the same reasons and its held up great. Tows 6-7K lbs just fine and stops it well even when the trailer brakes aren't up to par. It can tow a 3-4K car + 2K trailer even better.

I've towed over 9K with it once. I wouldn't have, but its flat up here, no traffic, and I was only going 20 miles.

Mines an automatic with 175K on it and still feels new.

I want:

Crew cab

V8 6 speed auto

Short bed

Leather/heated seats if you can

4x4

Blue tooth

2013 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab

AZ3 40/20/40 SPLIT BENCH SEAT WITH

FRONT LEATHER APPOINTED

SEATING SURFACES AND 6-WAY

POWER DRIVER SEAT ADJUST

GU6 REAR AXLE, 3.42 RATIO

LC9 VORTEC 5.3L V8 SFI ENGINE

W/ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT &

FLEX-FUEL CAPABILITY

MYC 6-SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION

PDD CONVENIENCE PACKAGE INCL:

*UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE

*ADJUSTABLE POWER PEDALS

*REMOTE VEHICLE STARTER SYSTEM

*ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER

*REAR PARKING ASSIST

PDU POWER TECH PACKAGE:

*VORTEC 5.3L V8 ENGINE

W/ACTIVE FUEL MANAGEMENT

*6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

*LOCKING REAR DIFFERENTIAL

*TRAILERING PACKAGE

*ALUMINUM WHEELS

*HEAVY DUTY COOLING

*AUTO DUAL ZONE AC

*BLUETOOTH FOR PHONE

*CD PLAYER WITH USB PORT

*STEERING WHEEL RADIO CONTROLS

*FOG LAMPS

*LOCKING TAILGATE

*EZ-LIFT TAILGATE

(REPLACES STANDARD CONTENT)

QJM 17" ON-OFF ROAD WOL TIRES

UE1 6 MTHS ONSTAR DIRECTIONS &

CONNECTIONS WITH AUTOMATIC

CRASH RESPONSE AND TURN-BY-

TURN NAVIGATION (ASK DEALER

ABOUT GEOGRAPHIC COVERAGE)

Z71 OFF-ROAD SUSPENSION PKG INCL:

*OFF-ROAD SKID PLATES

*HIGH CAPACITY AIR CLEANER

MSRP: $42,455

Preferred Pricing: $39,968.07 (part one of the employee discount)

Employee Vehicle Allowance: $2,000 (part two of employee discount through uncle)

Bonus Cash: $1,000

Rebate: $3,000 (with rates as low as they are you're probably better off taking the rebate instead of the 0%. You can only take one or the other)

PDU Package Rebate: $1,000

Your price before tax: 32,968.07

Savings: $9486.93

Some other rebates you may qualify for that would further increase your savings. None of these are compatible with the other except for the trade assistance.

USAA member:$750

Trade assistance: $1000 (must trade 1999 or newer vehicle)

Truck loyalty: $1,000 (must own a 1999 or newer GM truck or SUV

Lease Conquest: $2,000 (must lease a non-GM vehicle)

All GM trucks also come with 2 years or 24,000 miles of oil changes and rotations.

I would probably hold out for the 2014 if buying a new gm truck. They have significant improvements over the current model. If they start slashing prices on the 2013 trucks I might be swayed, but otherwise wait.

There will be next to no incentives on the 2014 truck when it comes out. Also, as it's his uncle that is getting him the GM discount, it's only good on a month by month basis. This month is the first time in years that they've extended the discount to nieces and nephews as a way to stimulate sales.

Is it a bad idea to show financing paperwork from one dealer to the next?

Where are you located with that GMC?

PM Sent. I don't need to see another dealers paperwork if you get employee pricing. Every GM vehicle has it's set employee price and it's the same at every dealership in the country. As far as financing goes, that's going to depend on your credit and you can cross that bridge once you figure out a truck and pricing.

I settled on a Silverao 1500 LT Crew Cab with leather, backup camera, 20" wheels and some other features. I will be getting it on Monay

Since I have never owned a truck:

How do I keep the rear fenders from rusting out?

Do I do a rubber liner or get Rhino liner? (I don't want the plastic one, too slippery)

What other options/aftermarket stuff should I get?

Other precautions?

Do I put the front plate on it?