1995 F250 has the overdrive light blinking off

justmyluck

I have a 1995 Ford F250 4x4 with the 351w in it. I was driving home last night and it started to shift really hard from first to second. I looked down and noticed on the the end of the drive selector, the overdrive light was blinking "off".

I have looked around on some Ford forums to see if I could identify the problem, and it seems to be a transfer case issue, a transmission sensor issue, a brake light issue, or even a problem with the engine itself.

Is it true the only way to know for sure is to have a shop read the codes that the transmission is throwing? does anyone know a good transmission shop near downtown?

Transmission is in limp mode, it will have a code, all the flashing light tells you is that its in limp mode and codes are present. You can disconnect the battery and it should go away until it sets the code again.

When my Sunfire trans went into fail safe/limp mode when a quick oil change place accidentally disconnected the vehicle speed sensor it shifted an an unnecessarily high RPM for the given throttle input and as hard as possible. It probably just went to picking the most aggressive setting in the tables, or possibly a special f/s table even worse than that. From what RL said It sounds like the ford logic is similar.

Why would the pick the most aggressive/hardest shifting settings? Is the idea that if the failure is coming from a slipping trans that will help the trans to engage and therefore for you to get home?

If this is what Ford calls "limp" mode, they are doing it wrong lol. It feels like its going to jerk the whole transmission apart. I will see if I can get the codes tonight...as long as this rain holds off.

So if the codes turn out to actually be for the transfer case, any recommendations on a shop nearish to downtown?

I checked the codes... and the first one I got was that the AC was still on. So I disconnected the battery to clear the codes, started the truck up, and everything works perfect!? The car shifts better then it did when I first picked it up. Why is this happening?