Lowering - Tie Rod Spacers/extensions?

zeitgeist57

I'm lowering the F100's front end with some used Dream Beams, but they didn't come with the TRE spacers. Unlike the threaded sleeves between the inner and outer TREs, rather a 2-3" cast and threaded extension at the end itself.

I don't know whether I need to get the longer sleeve, or the very specific spacers at the ends. Anyone that's dropped a truck or older car, I'd love some info. Thanks!

EDIT: Called DJM Suspension in Gardena, CA...they said the older, kingpin-style axles needed a TRE spacer but the 80s and up trucks did not. :thumbup:

Edited by zeitgeist57
Figgered it out by calling the company

In order to keep from creating bump steer the tie rod has to be on the same angle as the suspension. Try to picture looking at the suspension geometry from the front, the arc of suspension travel needs to be the same for the tie rod compared to the arc the knuckle takes during suspension travel. If these "arcs" are different you will get a toe change during suspension travel making the truck pull and dart every time it hits a bump. So if the "dream beams" cause bump steer then I would say yes you need the spacers.

Clear as mud?

ps. why didn't you put this in the tech section?