Fatal Crash on Gemini near Polaris Parkway

bmwohio

http://myfox28columbus.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories/wtte_fatal-crash-near-polaris-pkwy-23528.shtml

Looks like it's on the road between Jason's Deli and Sears/Movie Theater. Looks like 2 Subarus (Impreza/WRX Hatch and maybe a Legacy GT) It was a 'T-bone'

One dead, and one seriously injured.

I've always wondered if they were going to start putting up lights along that road in the back. This may be the deciding factor.

943304_10151569986466575_215199390_n.jpg

http://myfox28columbus.com/shared/news/features/top-stories/stories//images/polaris-fatal_23528.jpg

Edited by bmwohio

Clearly the white WRX T-boned the Gray Impreza. Looks to me the Gray Impreza pulled out in front of the WRX (which was most likely speeding). Some of the damage to the Gray Impreza is where they cut away the b pillar to get people out.

I've wrecked a few of these, :whistle: It doesn't take much to crumple the front of a WRX, it's designed to do that.

Clearly the white WRX T-boned the Gray Impreza. Looks to me the Gray Impreza pulled out in front of the WRX (which was most likely speeding). Some of the damage to the Gray Impreza is where they cut away the b pillar to get people out.

I've wrecked a few of these, :whistle: It doesn't take much to crumple the front of a WRX, it's designed to do that.

Being a modern car, they're pretty "safe" in side-impacts, aren't they (why I'm assuming high speed)? I'd assume the driver of the gray Impreza was the unfortunate person in this case?

Being a modern car, they're pretty "safe" in side-impacts, aren't they (why I'm assuming high speed)? I'd assume the driver of the gray Impreza was the unfortunate person in this case?

Yeah, I am thinking the driver of the Gray Impreza is the fatality. All safety is out the window if the driver didn't have a seatbelt on. Both those cars have side impact airbags.

It's definitely 35mph on Gemini, I got pulled over there once for doing 45 in a 35 on my bike because I legit thought it was 45mph. That road does suck though, it can be a bitch trying to turn onto it when there's traffic.

I'm guessing that is the case....Speed limit back there is definitely 35mph. I live 3 miles from the mall and I am back there all the time.

That intersection on the mall side right by Sears and across from that Church and new apartment complex that is going up really needs a light. If you are pulling out of the mall, it is sometimes hard to see cars coming from the driver's left (from the West).

This really freaks me out as I travel on this road quite frequently with my wife and son in the car.

It's definitely 35mph on Gemini, I got pulled over there once for doing 45 in a 35 on my bike because I legit thought it was 45mph.

Off topic: You and everyone else. Polaris running parallel is 45 obviously, and Polaris is far more congested with way more view obstructions. I'm surprised Gemini is still only 35; the 45 everyone drives has never been an issue in my opinion.

White WRX had to be driving stupid fast. Even 10-15 MPH over the limits there wouldn't do that much damage...

Look at the side of the gray car, they used the jaws of life to cut away the b-pillar, rear door, and bent the driver door all the way forward. That is a lot of the damage you see.

The front end of the WRX looks completely normal to me. My 05 STI was way worse on 270 in 2010. I was doing 60-65.

In the first pic in this thread, you see the b pillar and rear door resting up against the nose of the car. Both sides were cut out. And you can see the side airbags deployed.

The side must still have been pretty damaged if they had to use the Jaws of Life to get the driver out of the car

The side must still have been pretty damaged if they had to use the Jaws of Life to get the driver out of the car

Not really, maybe the doors just wouldn't open?

My mom hit a parked truck (metal bumper) in her Prius at 5-10mph. Didn't do a thing to the truck, driver laughed at her and said good luck, I'm good. But the Prius has broken front light and it pushed the front fender back enough that you can't open the passenger front door at all.

I think the fatality came from no seat belt.

I was t-boned in my 02 WRX on mt Vernon and 4th downtown. Guy ran the red light after turning left on 4th from Nationwide Blvd, had my belt on and walked away without a scratch. He was accelerating through the crash, never touched the brakes. No side airbags in that year.

Hmmm I always drive fast on Gemini as most of the time when I am in the area there isn't much traffic with the odd hours I work. I always see people get in accidents trying to turn onto Gemini from either the church there or the mall. I never try to go left as its just a accident waiting to happen.

Not really, maybe the doors just wouldn't open?

My mom hit a parked truck (metal bumper) in her Prius at 5-10mph. Didn't do a thing to the truck, driver laughed at her and said good luck, I'm good. But the Prius has broken front light and it pushed the front fender back enough that you can't open the passenger front door at all.

I think the fatality came from no seat belt.

I was t-boned in my 02 WRX on mt Vernon and 4th downtown. Guy ran the red light after turning left on 4th from Nationwide Blvd, had my belt on and walked away without a scratch. He was accelerating through the crash, never touched the brakes. No side airbags in that year.

Wow, that is basically why I've always worn a seatbelt, no need to risk your life by not wearing one.