Potential Car Buyer - Things to look for with a certified check

Diamonds

So, I have my car for sale on CL and lady is texting me saying she wants to come look at it (From Pittsburgh). She says (just in case) that she will bring a certified check from First National Bank in the event that she feels compelled to buy the car.

Here's my question... this process seems EEEERILY too smooth. I do think she will try and talk me down a G or 2. But, she seems as if she knows that she wants the car. How could she potentially scam me if it is IN FACT a certified check?

Just trying to cover my bases.

BTW, My thought is to go to HER bank (First National) assuming there is one in CBUS and cash the check with her there before I hand over they keys.

I can post the text convo if need be.

Well depending what first national bank it is ( googled it holy crap theres a ton of differnent ones) there are some in Columbus. If she can go get a check from the bank why cant she bring cash?

Why even chance it? Cash it Nothing. BOOM

The last 3 cars I bought were from certified checks from Telhio.

If you want just tell her to cash it and bring the cash.

Did she try to lower the price of the car at all or just say "ok I buy now"?

Go to a branch of that bank locally with her and have the check verified, then cash it there. Walk out with cash and boom, you are good.

Certified checks can still be put on hold or etc, so i've been told so that's why you go there with her and CASH it.

http://usedcars.about.com/od/sellingonline/a/UsedCarPay.htm

Meet at the Buyer’s Bank

Meet the buyer at the bank where he or she has an account.

Have the check cashed and then turned into a cashier’s check made out to you. This is a 100% fail-safe way to be paid for both the buyer and the seller.

Offer to pay the buyer’s fees for the check. After all, it is being done for your convenience.

Meet at the Your Bank

Anybody who can get a personal check or cashier’s check, can get cash.

Have the buyer meet you at your bank with the cash.

Deposit the cash and hand over the paperwork right there. Your bank might even offer you a spot to complete the transaction privately.

You can also call the bank and confirm funds. I have accepted checks for some auto purchases before and always hold the title and mail it to them if it clears. Always has for me though.

This.

I had a guy come from Missouri and bring a certified check. I looked up the bank (not the phone number on the check) and called them and they were able to verify the amount. I deposited it and my bank wanted to verify it again.

First things first, have her look at the car at the local police station. If anything is shaddy, you will know. You might want to let the police know before she gets there that someone will be looking at your car to purchase it. I have done this twice with no problems.

You can also call the bank and confirm funds. I have accepted checks for some auto purchases before and always hold the title and mail it to them if it clears. Always has for me though.

I sold a Tesla for a client like this one time. Met him 250 miles away and got a copy of the check first. I called the bank and gave them the check number etc. and they verified it. They were super nice and quick about it too.