Anyone Build Their Home?

Bark

We are looking to purchase our first home and are looking heavily right now. We are looking at the option of building to get more of what we want in a house. Can anyone recommend a builder? We aren't committed to any one particular area as long as it is in a decent neighborhood. Any suggestions?

Some details as to what features you are wanting and maybe a little about what you like to do at your house/ the house needs to have .......

For example; we just bought and the house had to have a pond, out building, and a little bit of land because with like to fish and shoot.

Edited by Mojoe

PM Ben...aka Nighthawk...dude with the 3ft wing on a Subaru. He can fill you on the typicals.

all boils down to you staying on the contractors and subs. What unique things are you looking for? So damn many homes on the market now that you gotta be able to find a sweet deal. Lots popping up now as we move into the season too.

Go with a custom builder that gives allowances, not one that charges you for everything you want.

You are going to run into 2 types of builders. Your high volume builders who will hold the house till they get an occupancy permit, and there are lower volume custom builders where you get a construction loan and they take draws as they build. The latter is going to give you much more of what you want for a better $/sq ft but they usually build bigger.

If you can afford it, I recommend Silvestri Homes. Carlo and Joe are longtime family friends as well as business partners at times.

http://www.silvestrihomes.com

We're looking for a typical 2 story, 3-4 bed, 2+ bath with basement and 2 car garage (3 if I get a little selfish). A formal dining room, great room, and living room are also on the list. we're thinking about putting a bid in tomorrow on one we like but if it falls through we may bid.

We built our home 18 years ago, and don't regret any part of it. However, with today's surplus of houses available you,would be better ahead to buy if you can find what you want. We had Gladman Builders build our house on land we purchased(10acres). We did a construction loan with the Delaware County Bank.

So damn many homes on the market now that you gotta be able to find a sweet deal.

However, with today's surplus of houses available

This is a misnomer now. The housing supply has been below 5 months for quite a while now, which indicates a shortage. 6 months is balanced and anything over 7 is a surplus.

There are some areas like UA, Grandview, Clintonville, Worthington that are going into contract above listing price the same day. Those places are under a 3 month supply, which is considered an extreme shortage and a "hot" market.

This is a misnomer now. The housing supply has been below 5 months for quite a while now, which indicates a shortage. 6 months is balanced and anything over 7 is a surplus.

There are some areas like UA, Grandview, Clintonville, Worthington that are going into contract above listing price the same day. Those places are under a 3 month supply, which is considered an extreme shortage and a "hot" market.

This. My wife is a realtor and is having trouble finding houses for her buyers in some areas. Her buyers generally have to lose 2 or 3 houses to other bids before they realize the "deals" out there are not as good as they once were. Demand is up, supply is down, simple economics. It is still a good time to buy though as prices have not really recovered totally but they are headed in the right direction.

To the poster, my dad built his own house. He and his friends did the basement and the only thing that he contracted out was the framing of the house. Everything else he did on his own and it took him two years and 70000 to build a 4 bedroom 2300 sq ft house out in the Pataskala/Etna area on a half acre of land. This was in the late 90's as well, and sold the home for way more around 2005.

I just recently purchased my first home in January. I only paid 62k for a 3 bedroom 3 car-detached garage, (it needed some work) in the Darby Creek area. I know it isnt a hotspot, but I was able to re-side the house, paint, and do some electrical work and now I got land, and four walls to sleep in while I go back to school in the fall.

This. My wife is a realtor and is having trouble finding houses for her buyers in some areas. Her buyers generally have to lose 2 or 3 houses to other bids before they realize the "deals" out there are not as good as they once were. Demand is up, supply is down, simple economics. It is still a good time to buy though as prices have not really recovered totally but they are headed in the right direction.

Yep. The days of getting really nice houses in really nice areas for $65/sq ft are gone

I used Schumacher in 2007. They have models off of 23, north of cbus.

I liked everything they did except they didn't put in anti-squeak flooring and they kinda sucked at insulation.

Know what you want, make sure they give it to you.

building your own home or being the sub contractor is totally different than what most people consider building your own home. IMO Having a company building it be custom or not is nothing like is not like doing the leg work/ work yourself.

I Sub contracted and worked on my own custom home 5 yrs ago. And easily saved over 40k.

Depending on the size, I have used Barry Holmes to build several things for me as well as my existing home. He is a great guy to work with his cell number is 614-402-3090. His company is called Preston development and he usually has 3 to 4 homes going at any given time but has great subs that I've worked with him for years even through this slow down.

in the middle of a fairly large "remodel"---or in other words, building a house on top of a house. if you have the time to research everything, pick out more shit than you ever want to in your life---perfect. if you don't have much time, its quite miserable and time consuming. everything comes out more expensive than the 'allowances'.

Depending on the size, I have used Barry Holmes to build several things for me as well as my existing home. He is a great guy to work with his cell number is 614-402-3090. His company is called Preston development and he usually has 3 to 4 homes going at any given time but has great subs that I've worked with him for years even through this slow down.

does that mean he won't build smaller homes?

My wife and I are in the process of building our next house right now so this is a timely thread. I'm lead to believe you can build a really nice home for ~$125 sq/ ft (on your own lot ) but I worry that many of these builders won't give me the time of day because I"m only looking to build a 2200-2500 sq ft. home.

Despite my age we're basically looking to build an empty nester house...no kids, don't care about school district, we just need enough room for us and the toys.

does that mean he won't build smaller homes?

My wife and I are in the process of building our next house right now so this is a timely thread. I'm lead to believe you can build a really nice home for ~$125 sq/ ft (on your own lot ) but I worry that many of these builders won't give me the time of day because I"m only looking to build a 2200-2500 sq ft. home.

Despite my age we're basically looking to build an empty nester house...no kids, don't care about school district, we just need enough room for us and the toys.

No, he does not want to do the jumbo home any more. Too much trouble for what he makes. You can save 15-30% having him get you your subs vs. a builder.

No, he does not want to do the jumbo home any more. Too much trouble for what he makes. You can save 15-30% having him get you your subs vs. a builder.

I've added him to my short list of people to speak with. Thank you for the info.

He does good work, I supply steel to his company.

We are looking to purchase our first home and are looking heavily right now. We are looking at the option of building to get more of what we want in a house. Can anyone recommend a builder? We aren't committed to any one particular area as long as it is in a decent neighborhood. Any suggestions?

Schumacher is pretty damn solid. We do a lot of work with them.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss the differences in construction loans and conventional financing. 614-339-1206.

Thanks,

Marc

Schumacher is pretty damn solid. We do a lot of work with them.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss the differences in construction loans and conventional financing. 614-339-1206.

Thanks,

Marc

You built a Schumacher or you loan people money that build with Schumacher?

I built with them and they are good in some aspects and poor at others. For instance, their warranty is supposed to be good but I have yet to see anything they will repair under warranty.

You built a Schumacher or you loan people money that build with Schumacher?

I built with them and they are good in some aspects and poor at others. For instance, their warranty is supposed to be good but I have yet to see anything they will repair under warranty.

I loan people money to build with them (and pretty much anyone else in central Ohio).

I cannot speak to them after the initial build...I just know that they have been pretty easy to work with on the finance side.

-Marc

building your own home or being the sub contractor is totally different than what most people consider building your own home. IMO Having a company building it be custom or not is nothing like is not like doing the leg work/ work yourself.

I Sub contracted and worked on my own custom home 5 yrs ago. And easily saved over 40k.

My parents have built several homes, it does save money and is a ton of work.