Ohio State University graduation medics anyone?

MiDe84

I was at graduation today and saw someone in really bad shape and was wondering if anyone one here works for the fire department if they can advise if she made it or not?

An older lady in section 34 deck A stated convulsing and was wheeled to the exit area under the seats.

I happen to be there trying to help my grandmother out of the stadium as Obama had just finished his speech.

It seems like the staff did not call the right people at first because the fire department did not get there until the guy who was helpings wife ran down to get them.

After the fire department got there they hooked up a EKG but then I think things went very south. Her skin flushed quickly and they had her laying down performing chest compressions. They attempted to intubate about 3 times without success.

They finally wound up taking her away as they were still performing chest compressions.

I hope all is well for her and her family.

The percentage of people who return to a full healthy life after an arrest is very slim (around 5%). And that number decreases with age, and the length of time in arrest as well. So likely she didnt make it.

On a side note, i heard Obama received and Honorary Masters or Doctorate degree from OSU. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.......................Wheres mine.

I'm not surprised this happened. Force people to go sit around for 5 hours because of the stupid security, then sit around another 3 hours for the ceremony...I hope the President doesn't speak at my graduation :dumb:

The percentage of people who return to a full healthy life after an arrest is very slim (around 5%). And that number decreases with age, and the length of time in arrest as well. So likely she didnt make it.

On a side note, i heard Obama received and Honorary Masters or Doctorate degree from OSU. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.......................Wheres mine.

I think you mean Dr. Obama in that case.

Under HIPPA Laws any medical personal cannot divulge any info regarding patients or patient status.

No one is talking about PHI information in this thread (e.g., the old lady's name, her SSN), which I believe is what HIPAA covers. I think it would be permissable under HIPAA for someone who has knowledge of that lady's general condition to advise others of it (e.g., "The old lady that everyone saw at graduation ended up making it but is still in serious condition"). Think about what you hear about on the news everyday.

Is that what had happened? I was part of yesterday's graduating class and we couldn't tell what the hell was happening up there.

if you are talking about the woman that screamed that was sitting on the east side, i heard that a spider was on her and she flipped out. as we were walking to the shuttle i heard someone else talking about it.

That is crazy. I knew the odds were not good but that is really not good.

I'm not surprised this happened. Force people to go sit around for 5 hours because of the stupid security, then sit around another 3 hours for the ceremony...I hope the President doesn't speak at my graduation :dumb:

The security was crazy! Home Land Security is a bit more thorough then your normal TSA check that is for sure.

Yea, i got there at 8:45 am and didn't leave till about 3pm. was a very long day, not surprised someone had health issues, that will take a toll on ya.

On an up note, Gordon Gee was AWESOME!

Obama.... ehh

We got there around the same time and left after Obamas speech since we did not want to deal with our grandmother trying to get out with the herd. Gees speech was really good. He had me cracking up.

Is that what had happened? I was part of yesterday's graduating class and we couldn't tell what the hell was happening up there.

If you saw it from the field probably not. Most of the "action" took place under the seats where the vendors usually are.

On a positive note here is my favorite picture from yesterday. I am no pro but I am happy with this one. Took it with my phone. Click on it to see it larger.

http://i.imgur.com/kOpm8Qil.jpg

No one is talking about PHI information in this thread (e.g., the old lady's name, her SSN), which I believe is what HIPAA covers. I think it would be permissable under HIPAA for someone who has knowledge of that lady's general condition to advise others of it (e.g., "The old lady that everyone saw at graduation ended up making it but is still in serious condition"). Think about what you hear about on the news everyday.

True, it is very closely looked at. the general public has different rules than us. We cannot.

Under HIPPA Laws any medical personal cannot divulge any info regarding patients or patient status.

As the other dude said...HIPAA (not HIPPA) only covers people's personal information, not disclosing whether or not someone is okay.

I thought it may have been shocked at being referred to as "the other dude". I thought I heard it fall ever so slightly to the left...

-Marc

You've always been very perceptive. You're right, it was a bit miffed at being called "the other dude." Usually, it prefers "your Excellency" or "Captain Gel of the 17th Hair Product Armada."