Xbox One

Nickey4271647545519

TV and apps? no thanks...

Xbox One: a next-gen console with a focus on interactive TV and apps

On the hardware side, Microsoft has included 8GB of RAM, a single custom 40-nanometer chip with an 8-core CPU and GPU system-on-a-chip, and a custom 500GB HDD. The system-on-a-chip is made by AMD and Microsoft designed its own HDD in-house. The Xbox One runs on the kernel of Windows according to Microsoft, and utilizes a Blu-ray drive, USB 3.0, and built-in 802.11n Wi-Fi for gaming and entertainment. Microsoft also has new Kinect to share, and it includes a 1080p wide-angle camera that's designed to read your heartbeat while you exercise. Microsoft's new Xbox controller includes 40 design changes and impulse triggers that let you feel the feedback directly in the triggers themselves. The controller and Kinect work together to recognize a player, allowing gamers to raise a controller and cause actions in games, and more.

I'm all for my gaming console doing more than just games, but when the focus is seemingly taken away from gaming, I'm a little hesitant to buy into the hype.

Forza 5 looks fantastic though!

Thats how I feel about. I was more partial to the Xbox this generation (although I have both), but Microsoft's lack of real focus on their initial investors (who will be the hardcore market) gives the upper hand right now to PS4.

Fun fact, Sony's stock shot up and Microsoft's stock went down with the announcement.

Does not really compute all that well.

How to you figure, every one of the last 3 consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, and WII) were hard to come by after release or during the first holidays. I personally know people who flipped them for double what they paid.

Worst comes to worst I keep or return it for a full refund. :gabe:

Thats how I feel about. I was more partial to the Xbox this generation (although I have both), but Microsoft's lack of real focus on their initial investors (who will be the hardcore market) gives the upper hand right now to PS4.

Fun fact, Sony's stock shot up and Microsoft's stock went down with the announcement.

What "hardcore market" are you referencing?

I understand someone saying that Xbox One seems to be focusing on being an all-in-one entertainment solution more than just a gaming machine is a negative thing for some "hardcore" gamers but at the same time Microsoft has once again locked up exclusive rights to certain things that a large "hardcore" market is going to feel it needs. Like Call of Duty DLC a month before any other platform and FIFA Ultimate Teams being entirely Xbox One-exclusive. COD and FIFA are two of the most "hardcore" markets I can think of.

How to you figure, every one of the last 3 consoles (PS3, Xbox 360, and WII) were hard to come by after release or during the first holidays. I personally know people who flipped them for double what they paid.

This is my plan as well. When PS2 came out I was too young to care about making money off it. I didn't do PS3 but when Xbox 360 came out I had to think real hard about opening and playing mine on launch day when I saw them going for $1k or more on eBay. I still ended up waiting in line at Best Buy a month later to pick up another to make a few hundred from.

I'll place some pre-orders around town when the prices are announced, pick them up on launch day, check online prices, if they're not going for much more than retail I'll just return them.

I thought about doing that with the Wii U when it was released during the holiday shopping peak, glad I didn't because it didn't sell that well even on eBay during the holiday season and its failing right now.

the only thing that bothers me about the new PS4 and Xbox is both company's wanna focus on digital games not disc based games. call me old school but I'd rather physically have it vs stored on a HDD

Having owned each iteration of the Microsoft console at launch, I must say I'm a bit underwhelmed. Make that a lot underwhelmed. I am glad I just built a new gaming PC. I may even sell this 7970, and buy a Titan or 7990, or some other high-end card, around the time these consoles drop, and skip this gen.

Having owned each iteration of the Microsoft console at launch, I must say I'm a bit underwhelmed. Make that a lot underwhelmed. I am glad I just built a new gaming PC. I may even sell this 7970, and buy a Titan or 7990, or some other high-end card, around the time these consoles drop, and skip this gen.

not me, I'm waiting for the PS4 pre-order to start

not me, I'm waiting for the PS4 pre-order to start

PS4 certainly impressed me more with their conference, and focused more on games and tech, than TV and Kinect, but they didn't fix their controller's analog stick position, which is a cardinal sin.

Fee for used games. Check

Require internet connection once a day. Check

Underpowered hardware. Check

Mandatory installation to harddrive. Check.

Focus on everything but games. Check

All this reveal did was assert that I'm buying a PS4 this time around.

Any Angry Joe fans, he did a pretty good rant on the reveal.

I was being mostly flippant, but there still seemed to be something of a flaw in logic in your plan: you're banking on being able to acquire a rare commodity without paying the premium. It's like me saying if I can't pay my rent one month I'll just buy a new C7 and sell it for double its price.

But, really, it was mostly me just being flippant. I have no doubt in your flipping abilities.