Wife needs a new vehicle need advice

Dharris89

I think we are back to a minivan. Our current van has sliding doors which are nice since the kids are young. She thinks she would miss that. We are spending Saturday searching. At this point we will probably focus on the Odyssey, Sienna, Caravan/Town and Country and the Mazda 5. We are also still going to check out the flex (my personal favorite) although I'm still worried about the width.

I'd go for an 05+ odyssey, Sienna, or Nissan Quest. All seem really reliable.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you really like them you need a newer one or one that has been fixed, but expect GM's normal half ass build quality.

Aww come on I've never had to replace anything on my 60k mile firebird. Seriously though, thanks for the advice on the traverse.

I'd go for an 05+ odyssey, Sienna, or Nissan Quest. All seem really reliable.

I think we are shooting for a 2010 or newer. I'm not opposed to going a little older but it would need to have really good miles. Plus the interest rates are better for financing if we go 2010 or newer.

Always had those in the shop at Chevy and I wouldn't own one, the first 2 years are complete garbage with stretched timing chains and broken wave plates in the transmission. Those parts were redesigned and lots of them were replaced, other common issues involved shitty power steering (noise and leaks). I have done all of these type repairs well under 50k. If you really like them you need a newer one or one that has been fixed, but expect GM's normal half ass build quality.

There is a simple fix for this that I have to remind my techs about.

1) Buy an 09 or 10 that is GM Certified or still under powertrain warranty.

2) Find a good service department

3) Complain about clacking or ticking (also complain about power steering noise)

4) Have it fixed under warranty with the new and improved parts (a good engine guy can do this job is few hours)

Because it's a known issue with the early ones, GM almost never turns down a warranty claim. They really are great vehicles for what most people use them for. Are they an MDX? No. Are they an X5? No. Do they have the capability of a minivan? No. But for someone who dreads driving a minivan and doesn't want to break the bank, the Traverse, Enclave and Acadia are nice rides. I wouldn't sell the insane number of the latter two to new and repeat buyers if they weren't.

I think we are shooting for a 2010 or newer. I'm not opposed to going a little older but it would need to have really good miles. Plus the interest rates are better for financing if we go 2010 or newer.

GM Certified Acadias, Enclaves and I believe Traverses have 1.9% for 60 months for people with average credit and higher.

GM Certified Acadias, Enclaves and I believe Traverses have 1.9% for 60 months for people with average credit and higher.

Is that only for new cars or certified or 2010+? I haven't financed a car in over 10 years so these may be dumb questions but I just don't know. I just buy old cars and drive them till they die. Since this is the wife and kids, I'm trying to get something nice that will last. My credit is not an issue.

Is that only for new cars or certified or 2010+? I haven't financed a car in over 10 years so these may be dumb questions but I just don't know. My credit is not an issue.

Yes. That's only for certified.

So we spent all day looking. Thanks to Ryan and Andy who were both cool. We tried the flex and it fit but there was only a c-hair of clearance so it's out. Bummer too since we both liked driving it. We also liked the Sienna but they only come with really light tan or very light grey interior. Also the spare tire is under the car which seems like a bad design.

I think we are going to look for a 2011 Odyssey. That's the year they changed the body style and made some nice changes inside. Might be a little over the original budget but not much.

you need a bigger garage.... if a flex wont fit in it

My wife has a one car attached garage. My oversized 2-car garage is behind the house. A flex would easily fit in the back garage. We considered moving cars around but logistically it makes more sense for her to use the attached garage.

• 2 weeks later...
We are going down to Lindsey tonight to try and make a deal on a 2011 odyssey. My wife said the salesman was kind of a douche when it was just her this afternoon. I'll post pics if we end up getting it.