Wife needs a new vehicle need advice

Dharris89

We are in the market for a new SUV or minivan or something in between. We have an Odyssey but the tyranny is getting questionable so it's time to go. We need a 3rd row for family and trips. A newer odyssey is an obvious choice but she wants something different if we can find it. Our budget with financing is around $20k and we would like it to be as new as possible. Anyone have advice on what to look for or stay away from? We looked at a flex but its too wide for the garage. A journey is a possibility. Thanks

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We bought a 2009 Ford Flex about a month ago. We love it. Good gas mileage and very comfortable. It's minivan space on the inside but SUV-looking on the outside. We have two kids in car seats and have tons of room. It has a third row that folds flat too.

what's the issue with the transmission?

For the last few months its been slipping and not wanting to shift usually when starting up. I did a dump and flush on the tranny and it seemed to get worse. I used honda ATF and the level is fine. Today the wife was driving and it wouldn't shift out of first when she started up from a red light. She had to pull over and restart it. It used to random but is getting more frequent.

We bought a 2009 Ford Flex about a month ago. We love it. Good gas mileage and very comfortable. It's minivan space on the inside but SUV-looking on the outside. We have two kids in car seats and have tons of room. It has a third row that folds flat too.

I like the flex a lot but its wide. My wife's garage is narrow and she backs in. The flex gives us a total of 6 inches clearance to get in. Definately would want to practice before purchase. Thanks

For the last few months its been slipping and not wanting to shift usually when starting up. I did a dump and flush on the tranny and it seemed to get worse. I used honda ATF and the level is fine. Today the wife was driving and it wouldn't shift out of first when she started up from a red light. She had to pull over and restart it. It used to random but is getting more frequent.

yup transmission is shot, it'll probably kick the check engine light on soon if its not already on, codes P0730 & P0740 will most likely be stored for incorrect gear ratio.

yup transmission is shot, it'll probably kick the check engine light on soon if its not already on, codes P0730 & P0740 will most likely be stored for incorrect gear ratio.

That's what I was thinking. I know I can get it replaced but as soon as I mentioned a the option of a "New" vehicle it was all over.

We had a 2008 Nissan Quest we bought lightly used and drove the piss out of. Bought it fall 2008 w/ 15kish miles for around $17k. Plenty of room for two kids and drove great. Plenty of power as well. Not sure what they go for now but handled 150k miles w/out much issue.

A Journey could work, but keep in mind the 3rd row isn't going to be comfortable for grown adults. It's probably fine for kids or people with no legs. I do like the Caravan/Town and Country, but not sure it would fit in your garage better than a Flex.

/Chrysler product pushing.

I have a few flex's here. Your more then welcome to "test drive" to see if it will for in your garage if your interested in them.

We will be up there as soon as we find a sitter. Nothing like trying to do a test drive with two kids.

A Journey could work, but keep in mind the 3rd row isn't going to be comfortable for grown adults. It's probably fine for kids or people with no legs. I do like the Caravan/Town and Country, but not sure it would fit in your garage better than a Flex.

/Chrysler product pushing.

I'm keeping an open mind. The last 2 cars she basically got what was available and we got a "good" deal on. We both like the looks of the journey but we agree about the seats. Our neighbor has an older freestyle which they don't make anymore. They have been happy with it so something along those lines (of whatever brand) is also a possibility. I'm good with Mopar too.

I like the flex a lot but its wide. My wife's garage is narrow and she backs in. The flex gives us a total of 6 inches clearance to get in. Definately would want to practice before purchase. Thanks

2002 Honda odyssey 76.3

2009 flex 80.1

2013 75.9

used your looking at 4 inches difference, nothing drastic

2002 Honda odyssey 76.3

2009 flex 80.1

2013 75.9

used your looking at 4 inches difference, nothing drastic

Is that mirror to mirror or door to door? Our garage is right around 90

Now, that's what she said.

I was waiting on that.

Routan's are cheap and basically a dodge caravan...

Routans are definitely affordable, but you can probably get an as-nice-as or better Town & Country, and they're a lot more common so you'll likely have more choice in colors/options in the used market. Cars.com search shows probably 700 Routan/T&C/Grand Caravan within 150 miles in the 2010 age/$20k price range. Plenty of 2012s as well.

My wife has an 04 Escalade ESV. I love that thing. If you can live with the gas miliage (13-14), I doubt there is anything better.

Any of the Chevy SUV's should be around the same way. Tahoe, Suburban, Denali. The ones with the 5.3 get better MPG.