Daily driver ideas

Tractor

Our Babysitter has a daughter in college here local that needs a car. Currently she's driving a 1996 Honda Accord that is falling apart and I help all I can with fixing it. She recently came into enough money to replace it with something else 5-6K range.

My opinion is get the best deal on a Corolla or Camry that she can find. They don't mind honda either, but the car must be dead reliable so my opinion leaves only toyota, but I'm biased due to my long history of reliable toyota cars and trucks, I beat my corollas to death and they keep on going. Any other ideas?

My wife sold her 02 corolla a few years ago to a family member for 5500. It has over 200k on it and still runs fine. The only thing I know for sure is a clutch replacement and normal wear and tear problems nothing major.

Is the honda running at all?

Look at the Pontiac Vibe...it is a Corolla underneath and is cheaper due to it being a Pontiac. It shares most parts with the Toyota Matrix as well. We bought a 2005 with 28k miles it now has 95k and have only done routine maintenance and an axel (cv boot tore). My 18 year old beats the crap out of it and it still runs like a top and drives nice.

Cavalier and focus? You must not work on cars...

I've had friends/family that have owned one or the other that beat the hell out of them and they didn't have any problems mechanically. Are they harder to work on?

Jetta maybe? My roommate has like an 02 with nearly 300k and still runs strong, hasn't had any major repairs.

No. Just...no. I've owned a 2001 Passat and currently am still stuck with a 2002 Jetta. Would NOT recommend for reliability and easy/affordable maintenance.

I suggest this:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/EWhytsell/IMG_16611_zpsc62401aa.jpg