where to get T56 parts....

LeonbergerG

Also, besides whats broke What should i replace when its apart?

Car Has about 375 HP But One Day i would like to go more, Would like to buidl a dependable 11 sec. Daily Driver to Take to the Track about every week.

Have you thought about just ordering up a level 5 T56 from RPM? That was the route I went. I know bits and pieces about lots of different things, but one thing I know about transmissions is to leave it to the professionals. Some of the stuff RPM does for their level 5 T-56s

Solid keys

Bronze fork pads

Bronze shifter bushing (n/a for Corvette)

Steel 3-4 shifter fork

RPM modified 1-2 shifter fork

Hand fit sliders and hubs

New Compressed Carbon blocking rings

you can gets parts from a GM dealer and a place called Goodale transmission. Those are the 2 places I used when I did mine.

The stuff you'll wanna upgrade would be the shift fork pads, shift forks, and syncro keys for sure(these are the items that crack/break/wear/bend the most) the rest would be up to you, I would recommend replacing the bearings since you'll have it apart, take a real close look at your syncro's chances are they're all worn, AND one last thing if this is your first T56 rebuild have fun...

it will be my first, none of the Local Shops around here will touch it so me and a friend are going to attempt it. Hope fully it doesnt need much but i will find out probably this week and start oredering parts.

I'll give you this advise, when you do it MAKE SURE its standing up(bell housing side facing down) you'll have to make a hole in your workbench for the input shaft to go through, then tear it down from the back to the front, pay attention to the internal shift linkages if you don't then they wont line up correctly and you'll spend hours trying to figure it out, if you try to do it by just letting it sit long ways ALL your shafts WILL NOT line up correctly when putting it back together.

In the rear half of the transmission is reverse gear, 5th & 6th gear with a couple spacers, reverse counter shaft and the syncro's for each of those gears, then there's an input gear that you'll need a special puller to get off the main shaft(if not then you wont be able to access the front half of the transmission).

Up in the front half are gears 1st-4th, syncros for each gear the input shaft along with the $1,500.00 counter shaft(MAKE SURE THIS GETS INSTALLED PROPERLY OR YOUR GONNA HATE LIFE!) also pay close special attention to each gear & syncro when you remove them(front & rear of the transmission), there's needle bearings in a plastic race that goes inside each gear DO NOT MIX THOSE UP OR DAMAGE THE PLASTIC RACE or you'll damage the main shaft.

Once you get it back together, go through each gear making sure there's no issues then re-install it in the car, FYI the T56 uses ATF

• 2 weeks later...