Which Modern Professional Race Car is the Most Impressive for what it does?

Fubar231

Read this question on BangShift today and was wondering what CR thinks.

Which Modern Professional Race Car is the Most Impressive for what it does? Top Fuel Dragsters? Sprint Cars? F1 Cars? LeMans? What type do you think? Can be any type, doesnt have to be listed here.

What does CR think?

Edited by Fubar231

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching a YouTube vid about top fuel dragsters recently I'm quite impressed by them. I'm more impressed by the teams behind them for rebuilding the engine so quickly after every pass as the motor pretty much destroys itself during the run.

I would give you that... but... F1 cars do what they do AND have to meet a standard of reliability as well. They will take penalties if they crack open the engine or transmission. They're only allowed to use 8 engines for the entire racing season and each gearbox has to last through 5 *consecutive* races.

Considering the cars lap a track faster than any other professional series, can pull up to 5Gs laterally and can brake at around 6G, all while using only a single tank of fuel and maintaining a reliability standard, I think they're the most amazing. If the regs didn't reign them in, they'd be capable of performance exceeding human capabilities like a fighter jet and would require a computer to keep them on the track. A F1 car is the complete package.

F1 cars are by far the most impressive performance race cars on the planet, for the simple fact that they do everything well and are reliable. Top Fuel cars are impressive too, but the engineering that goes into an F1 car is light years ahead. Top Fuel may as well be a spec series.

I almost posted the Delta Wing last night, so I'm glad to see someone else already did.

Read this question on BangShift today and was wondering what CR thinks.

Which Modern Professional Race Car is the Most Impressive for what it does? Top Fuel Dragsters? Sprint Cars? F1 Cars? LeMans?

What does CR think?

That is like trying to compare apples to wrenches to coffee to blow up dolls.

Each of those is pretty much at the top level of "what they do" and trying to draw a fair and direct comparison is going to be tough.

F1 cars are almost science fiction with how advanced they are. When it comes to open wheel racing they are pretty much the top dog.

Top Fuel cars are a mixture of brute force and finesse. Trying to get 8,000hp down the track as quick as possible, while keeping the car alive is not easy, just watch any race and you will see.

Outlaw Sprint Cars are the best thing that goes fast and turns left, period. They are about like top fuel car that turns left. Watch any in car with those guys and they are always up on the wheel.

LeMans cars are just cool as fuck. You have to build something that goes fast, handles like it’s on rails AND has to run for 24 hours. Expensive, Fast, and Reliable is the motto for those cars.

That is like trying to compare apples to wrenches to coffee to blow up dolls.

I wasnt trying to have people compare them to each other, but just state what they think is the craziest/most advance type of cars. After i saw this picture yesterday of the new F1 racing wheels (Posted Below) i about lost it.

1008509_535484786509102_1834976061_o.jpg

I would give you that... but... F1 cars do what they do AND have to meet a standard of reliability as well. They will take penalties if they crack open the engine or transmission. They're only allowed to use 8 engines for the entire racing season and each gearbox has to last through 5 *consecutive* races.

Bingo-

Top Fuel would take the cake if they could achieve even one race's worth of reliability.

Top fuel cars are way impressive but something that can only go straight and only runs for 30 seconds between engine rebuilds truly stretches the definition of "car."

The problem with F1 is that the cars are so ludicrously expensive and they're continually being neutered, that they're really not all that impressive "for what they are." In other words, they're certainly impressive, but you'd expect an impressive car when you're spending $100 million a year.

My vote would go for LMP2 cars, which are still very quick but are cheap enough to be run by (extremely wealthy) privateers. But nobody gets excited about LMP2 cars so it's a pretty boring answer. When you think about it, they're spending a few million dollars a year and only running 15 seconds a lap slower than F1 cars (around Spa, as an example). That's a good bargain.

I always had a thing for the Audi TDI r10, r15, r15+

Talk about reliability. LMP cars are damn near F1 cars but with a little less HP, a little more weight but need to endure a 24hr race.

For me it's a tie between F1 and LeMans.

I figured that would rustle some jimmies. Since you guys are so thick headed you don't even bother looking at other forms of racing. The professional drift cars have probably more grip than drag racers do.
  • Downvote 1

I figured that would rustle some jimmies. Since you guys are so thick headed you don't even bother looking at other forms of racing. The professional drift cars have probably more grip than drag racers do.

race - noun - a contest of speed.

Drifting isn't racing. Drift cars aren't race cars. Therefore they are disqualified from the OP.

Considering the cars lap a track faster than any other professional series, can pull up to 5Gs laterally and can brake at around 6G, all while using only a single tank of fuel and maintaining a reliability standard, I think they're the most amazing. If the regs didn't reign them in, they'd be capable of performance exceeding human capabilities like a fighter jet and would require a computer to keep them on the track. A F1 car is the complete package.

I figure I can only give an opinion on what I know. I have learned a little bit about top fuel dragsters lately, however I know little to nothing about F1 cars, though I can say that I'm sure they are impressive in their own respect (I might look into learning more about them sometime). Rally and road race cars have always interested me I just don't know enough about them to form an opinion on them either.

Since it seems others are straying from the fields listed in the OP though, I gotta say, I am most impressed with cars that are built by your average joe. Ones that are true street cars, but can still perform at the track (I'm generalizing when I say track here) too. While these cars I'm talking about are not professional race cars (in most cases), they impress me more than a purpose built car that was built by a team. I think I am most impressed by them because of the amount of passion and dedication and thought that go into them coming from an individual, the fact that they are a labor of love. Something you probably don't see too much of in professional racing.

TL;DR: I am impressed by all forms of cars and racing but its the people behind it all that impress me the most, especially the average joe who builds his own car.