03 Buick Rendevous - Trans/Shifting Problem (Codes - P0753, P0758, P1860)

Fubar231

So my sister brought her car home at lunch because its acting up. I went and drove it and it feels like it doesnt want to shift gears, or its stuck in 4th. The car is a 2003 Buick Rendevous CXL (Which means AWD) with the 3.4l v6 i believe.

But back to the problem, i test drove it and it feels like it wont kick down gears. If you put it in D and floor it it revs up on the torque converter and just slowly starts to get going. If you put it down in 1, it feels like its in 1st or 2nd and is a lot better, then go to 3, then D and itll drive/shift like that. Also when it shifts you can really feel it.

Anybody got an idea of where to start? It had a CEL but i havnt scanned it yet, just got back from running around. Going to go scan it and get the CEL and then see what you guys say.

Guess my sister didnt leave her keys at home so i wont be able to do anything else with it till then, but any suggestions or places to start? I will scan it and post the code when i can get the keys from her later.

Checked fluid level and it was fine.

Codes are

P0753 - Shift Solenoid A Electrical

P0758 - Shift Solenoid B Electrical

P1860 - TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical

I believe P1860 is coming on because thats for the torque converter acting up and i could see that happening because of 753 and 758 are the shift solenoids.

What should i do from here?

Apparently i checked the fluid level in the wrong gear, cause it is a little below the add mark. I also cleared the codes and went for a drive and it was acting a lot better, actually going through the gears fine, but im still getting that P1860 code.

I did notice like 2 times when i was starting from a stop there was like 2 bangs or something coming from the trans possibly, but went away and didnt do it every time i started from a dead stop.

Going to go pick up some fluid now, reset the codes and go drive it some. Will report back later with whats going on.

The vehicle was running and warmed up with the transmission in neutral, correct?

Sounds like you should get the right amount of fluid in and verify the old fluid isn't burnt or pitch black. I think the trans fluid up until 06 was dexron III/ mercon which is an obivious red.

The vehicle was running and warmed up with the transmission in neutral, correct?

Sounds like you should get the right amount of fluid in and verify the old fluid isn't burnt or pitch black. I think the trans fluid up until 06 was dexron III/ mercon which is an obivious red.

This is obviously a great place to start, and you're correct Dex 6 started in 2006 so it would be regular old dexron mercon fluid.

From the codes it's setting either there is some wiring that has come apart or something along those lines, or the transmission is toast. The likeliness of all the solenoids in the trans acting up is slim but they all share some common wiring so I'd start there. However when the trans isn't engaging gears it may just think the solenoids are fucked up when they aren't actually.

How many miles is on the thing anyway?

This is obviously a great place to start, and you're correct Dex 6 started in 2006 so it would be regular old dexron mercon fluid.

From the codes it's setting either there is some wiring that has come apart or something along those lines, or the transmission is toast. The likeliness of all the solenoids in the trans acting up is slim but they all share some common wiring so I'd start there. However when the trans isn't engaging gears it may just think the solenoids are fucked up when they aren't actually.

How many miles is on the thing anyway?

97k miles, i doubt the trans has ever been serviced either. After clearing the codes, driving it, and adding fluid its still doing it. Still getting all the same codes.

If you put it in 1, then go to 2nd, then 3rd yourself you can get it to drive ok but when it shifts it bangs into gear, and if you leave it in D and try and drive it it might accelerate a little, but itll start banging and bucking, let off little bit of gas might go ok till it tries to shift again, then banging and rocking etc.

Im thinking the trans is gonna need rebuilt reguardless, i noticed the fluid was about 1 1/2 qt's low and its probably been like that FOREVER cause my sister NEVER checks anything on her car till the lights come on.

Anyone on here good with trans's that can rebuild it cheap, or test drive it for me and take a better look at it?

Thanks again for the help CR

The fluid wasnt burnt at all, just low, and i added the red dexron III to it, and it didnt help. Im thinkin its toast.