good oil?

The_buster

Going to be changing the oil in the crv, maxima needs it too, but I was wondering what a good oil is. I used to use valvoline Maxlife in the altima, is that a decent oil? I don't want anything fancy like royal purple, just a good oil. I searched the tech section and here didn't find anything.

Going to be changing the oil in the crv, maxima needs it too, but I was wondering what a good oil is. I used to use valvoline Maxlife in the altima, is that a decent oil? I don't want anything fancy like royal purple, just a good oil. I searched the tech section and here didn't find anything.

If you think the answer to this question should be in Tech Help why did you post it in The Passing Lane?

THE BUSTER

A: Use whatever oil you need to, but if your car requires premium I would go with at least 91 octane, preferably 93. Sunoco has 94 usually.

I saw the thread title and thought

YEW ALREADY KNO IT'S DA BUSTA ON DAT GOOD GOOD

Not really, but all oil is of the same "minimum" grade according to government standards. So anything really is going to work. I got a lot of Lucas at crackhead price a few months back, or else I'd be changing the Supra's with the $17.99 deal AZ usually has.

I searched both instead of making a repost, I'm trying to be better. and I'm confused as to the logic of the second part..

Go here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ and read to your hearts desire. You will know more than you want to and walk away informed....hopefully.

And the second part was basically just saying that no matter what the oil is (according to the .gov) "good enough" to be put into your engine. It's like a Food and Drug administration but for oil... Look at the little round emblem on the back of a quart of oil tomorrow at work, you will see it on there. It will have different designations sometimes. But in a nutshell, any oil should work in one of those. If it was a motor constantly seeing 8,000 rpm maybe it would be different, but as far as I know the Maxipad does not have a racekar motor.

Go here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ and read to your hearts desire. You will know more than you want to and walk away informed....hopefully.

And the second part was basically just saying that no matter what the oil is (according to the .gov) "good enough" to be put into your engine. It's like a Food and Drug administration but for oil... Look at the little round emblem on the back of a quart of oil tomorrow at work, you will see it on there. It will have different designations sometimes. But in a nutshell, any oil should work in one of those. If it was a motor constantly seeing 8,000 rpm maybe it would be different, but as far as I know the Maxipad does not have a racekar motor.

This ^

Also, Walmart Supertech oil is actually pretty decent if you read BITOG. Well, it used to be, haven't kept up with my reading lately to see if they changed it or not.

This ^

Also, Walmart Supertech oil is actually pretty decent if you read BITOG. Well, it used to be, haven't kept up with my reading lately to see if they changed it or not.

It's amazing what you find out on BITOG. I learned that "Synthetic" doesn't mean synthetic in the first 30 seconds lol.

Also was amazed some of the "cheap" oil was as good if not better than the "good" oil.

Get a Toyota and you'll never have to change oil, just top off if needed.

And if you must, eneos 5-50. Guarantee to make power and your car will run smoother.

my civic hatch was that way, it just burnt the oil and all I had to do was add some.... every day :mad:

Redline 5w30 due to the high HTHS and low KV. Plus it's not a cracked synthetic like Mobil 1, royal purple and other major brands.

Not cheap, $11-12 a quart, however I change at a 7500 interval. So it's the same price as other oils at short OCI (3k miles).

:dumb: one of the most overpriced oils for the quality level

at > $7.00 a quart yes. At the Walmart 5 quart jug price it's a great bargain if you ask me.

For a street car that doesn't see high stress situations I think Mobil1 is great. 0w-40, 5w-50 and 15w-50 were not re-formulated with the rest of the line, they are still a quality product.

at > $7.00 a quart yes. At the Walmart 5 quart jug price it's a great bargain if you ask me.

For a street car that doesn't see high stress situations I think Mobil1 is great. 0w-40, 5w-50 and 15w-50 were not re-formulated with the rest of the line, they are still a quality product.

On Wal-mart 5+ quart jug pricing I will agree with you. But most people go into AutoZone and buy this stuff for $8.99+ a quart....IMO much better can be had for that cost. But for $23-ish for 5 quarts it's not too bad for the quality, considering AZ's conventional is $19.99 for the same amount of oil, and a little less quality. I could justify the $4 difference.

It's amazing what you find out on BITOG. I learned that "Synthetic" doesn't mean synthetic in the first 30 seconds lol.

Also was amazed some of the "cheap" oil was as good if not better than the "good" oil.

Yeah, I loved reading BITOG and comparing. I did a bunch of filter cuts for a few guys on there too. The OLD supertech filters were pretty good, then they switched to Fram manufacturug from Delco and the quality went to crap. :mad:

Mobil1

Read BITOG and you'll change your mind. Mobil1 isn't "bad" oil, but there are much better ones out there especially for the price. My main issue with mobil1 was that it was very thin for the advertized weight. I had to put in a quart of 15-45 then top off with 5-30 to get a true 5-30 weight oil, otherwise it was just too thin.

On Wal-mart 5+ quart jug pricing I will agree with you. But most people go into AutoZone and buy this stuff for $8.99+ a quart....IMO much better can be had for that cost. But for $23-ish for 5 quarts it's not too bad for the quality, considering AZ's conventional is $19.99 for the same amount of oil, and a little less quality. I could justify the $4 difference.

we have it on special right now for 29.99 for 5qts and a bosch oil filter. 34.99 with a mobil filter. (plug I know but was just throwing out some prices).

also thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it.