Convert AR15 from right to left handed

87GT

I am getting tired of inhaling gun smoke every time I throw lead down range. I am a righty but left eye dominant. It is most comfortable for me to use my left finger on the trigger and my left eye down the sights. It would be nice if the brass ejected on the left. I don't have this issue with anything else i've shot or owned just my AR. What do I need to replace to do this? Is it worth the effort to convert or should I find one already made for a lefty?

I am getting tired of inhaling gun smoke every time I throw lead down range. I am a righty but left eye dominant. It is most comfortable for me to use my left finger on the trigger and my left eye down the sights. It would be nice if the brass ejected on the left. I don't have this issue with anything else i've shot or owned just my AR. What do I need to replace to do this? Is it worth the effort to convert or should I find one already made for a lefty?

All you need is a left handed upper receiver with left handed BCG. That is all. If you get picky you can get a ambi saftey and charge handle, but those are not necessary.

Stag arms makes a lefty upper. I've never looked into them, but I would assume you'd need the upper and a lefty BCG. I would think your standard RH lower would work.

Stag and RRA left ARs are on RH lowers.. lol I think the RRA has ambi saftey and mag release.

Another Idea is to do a piston conversion. Then no more smoke in face. lol

Piston conversion would be nice but probably more expensive?

They would be about the same, left handed upper receivers are rare and hard to find. They don't produce them in mass numbers so they are expensive. Same of lefty BCGs. Brownell is the only place I know that carriers them. Stag and RRA will only sell complete uppers.

So you are looking at 210 for the upper receiver 150-160 for the left handed bcg.

A Piston conversion kits will run about 320-330 for the adam arms kit and 360-370 for the CMMG kits.

Finding a piston conversion kit is easy. Finding a lefty upper and lefty BFG is going to be really really hard.

Or you can get a PRI gas buster charge handle... probably the cheapest way to go. It is made for suppressed fire, but it will work with keeping gas away from your face.

I didn't know about this. Thanks. Wouldn't this make it worse if you are left handed with a right handed gun?