Used welder - Price is Right???

zeitgeist57

Good buddy of mine just sent me a text:

His BiL is selling a Lincoln Electric SP-135 Plus wire-feed welder with argon assist and the aluminum kit. I have no clue what the aluminum kit means. Dood bought it 3 years ago for $800 and apparently never used it. PRice is firm at $500.

I have 220V running in my garage for both my compressor as well as welders when I've borrowed them in the past. I would love to get a welder to do some basic automotive body projects, possibly some frame/suspension work as well (thicker steel). Is this a good welder to have? Is the asking price reasonable? The "aluminum kit"; can I sell that to recoup some dough?

Thanks in advance, CR! :thumbup:

Like rocky said, the aluminum kit is a spool gun. Depending on the spool gun, that could be worth it...if it wasn't a Lincoln.

I wouldn't recommend the 135 for frame and suspension work, but it would be perfect for bodywork.

500 is about the price of a new one minus the extra stuff so if its in great shape its not a terrible price.

I picked up a lincoln 140 at home depot for the same price and its been awesome.

It doesn't sound like you'd really be utilizing the spool gun so I wouldn't really look at that as a selling point. As Ross said, that'll be small for frame work. I think you can get a better welder for your money if you shop around some, maybe even buying brand new.

Mine is a Lincoln Powermig 140C and I love it. But I was told by people who know better than me not to bother trying to weld aluminum with it. It has worked great for the little stuff I have done with it. I think $500 sounds a little high to me for something without a warranty.

I have a lincoln sp135 and I got it refurbed (looks NIB, not a mark on it) for about $450 a few years ago. I welded up a boat and for thin stuff it's decent with gas, but mine is a BITCH to get the feed speed right. Very touchy! I'd offer him $450 if that's the welder you want.