Great gas mileage cars

Buck531

Possibly looking into getting my wife another car. The 98 Brick she has seems to be sucking up a decent amount of gas and it's really not economical for her job now that she drives around a lot during the day.

Needs to be a 4 door.

Decent gas mileage (25+ city?)

Auto.

4 banger or 6.. doesn't matter.

needs to have decent trunk space.

Would prefer not to have over 100k if possible.

Would be around 8-9k price range (cheaper the better).

I briefly looked at a few Hondas or VW's. I'm not sure which is better or not. What about Maintenance? I've heard things about timing belts, chains, shit falling apart at 100k.

the TDIs are great, but hard to find good deals on used. Might want to do the math to see how long it would take the fuel savings to pay for the premium over a used gas model.

But yeah the TDis get great mileage and aren't soul-less to drive

i grew up with Toyota. hard to beat a Camry. keep up on the brakes, suspension and oil changes, sit back and watch it run for easy 200k. a guy at work that had a Camry that had 260k when he traded it in with minimal maintenance costs.

I daily drive a 2007 Impala LT with the 3.5 with 112,000 miles. I bought it with 42,000. I average 29.1 MPG and have never had it in the shop for anything more than standard maintenance. Impalas are comfortable, reliable and cheap/easy to work on. Not to mention you'll spend a lot less upfront on a nice low mileage Impala that you will a Honda/Toyota. DO NOT BUY AN IMPALA WITH A 3.9!!

May be crazy but lease maybe? On the wife's Civic we will pay about $7,400 over 3 years. Down side obviously is the $7400, upside is no maintenance, new car, 36 mpg while driving it like it's stolen. All highway we've gotten over 42mpg.

I was cruising 80mph from DC the whole way with the A/C on and got 37mpg. I was pleasantly surprised. (06 civic, manual trans).

My only complaint with the civic is that the rear springs aren't strong enough. if I put 4 normal sized people in the car, its bottoming out on the bump stops all the time. but I rarely have to do that, or I take the truck in ghat case.

I will never lease a car. Ever. Never.

My wife puts a lot of miles on the car due to her job. Leasing is not an option. Even if she wasn't driving during the day it wouldn't be an option.

I've heard the Malibus (maybe like 2005ish?) get really good gas mileage for what they are. Not what my first choice would be, but it'd keep you in the GM family and I would say you could get one a lot cheaper than a comparable Accord or Camry.

by a Toyota corolla, 32mpg avg., timing chain, bulletproof reliability, & lots of room

This, I drive an `01 Corolla for work, +1000 miles per week. Reliability isn't even a consideration since not really anything wears out, but you do gotta keep oil in them as they all burn some.

I get 32-35mpg and top out at 38mpg on long trips.

Next question. What's the cut off point between how many miles and how much you pay for a car?

depends on your budget and personal view. if it's just A-B for a wife in a family that needs both working.....keep it to something you can buy outright or pay off very soon. $10-15k ? 2yrs old usually lops off a nice chunk of the depreciation yet allows for low miles and still some new(er) car benefits.

remember, it's just a car....

I've heard the Malibus (maybe like 2005ish?) get really good gas mileage for what they are. Not what my first choice would be, but it'd keep you in the GM family and I would say you could get one a lot cheaper than a comparable Accord or Camry.

our 05 was very good with the 4 cyl on gas but the all but common sterring suspenion pops when turning the wheel and the sqeaks and rattles of the interior i refused to drive it. ( worse then a fox body no joke ) wasnt very comfoy for me to drive on long trips. trip to wv was hell stright there and stright back.