Lustron Homes

zeitgeist57

There is a Lustron home website that lists most of them that are still in existence. Still a few around Columbus and surrounding areas if you want to see one in its natural environment. Can't wait to see the exhibit myself. There is one on Lillychapel-georgesville red that I thought was a sears home for years until I saw this article

wonder how a steel and porceline house feels in extreme heat or cold?

Well it has an insulation but I never have been able to figure out how thick the insulation is. Theoretically it could be like living inside of a refrigerator. The heater was a radiant style heater in the ceiling and I've heard that it didnt work out as well as they hoped.

Also an interesting note these homes came with the option for a clothes/dishwasher built in to the kitchen counter. All you had to do is ad a rack for your dishes.

Also in the movie "Tucker: The mans and his dream" Lustron is the company that took over the Tucker factory after the government shut Tucker down. I thought that was funny since Tuckers were assembled in Chicago and obviously Lustrons were built right here in Columbus.

I believe one is on the north side near my old residence. I can't recall if it was on Lincoln of Stanford close to High St.(east of N High about 1/2 way between Morse & 161). I recall an article on it years ago - never even noriced it till the article called it out.