Flashing lights to warn speeders....

Putty

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is legal everywhere that it has been seen by the higher courts

Courts in Florida, Utah, and Tennessee have all examined the question of whether the act is obstruction of justice or a form of protected speech and have found that it’s protected speech, and that the (headlight) flasher cannot be prosecuted.

A father and son in Florida who tried to sue the state of Florida in a class action lawsuit on behalf of all drivers given a ticket lost their lawsuit because the state government had rewritten its policy in the interim to train officers not to write such tickets.

Sounds like the cop should have listened to the training he was given.

Sounds like the cop should have listened to the training he was given.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/in+the+interim

in the time between the ending of something and the beginning of something else

They inititated the training between the ticket being thrown out and the lawsuit being filed

I've never understood the logic of this.

Speed traps, under the assumption that police use them for their proper purpose, are for keeping drivers safe and speeds at or below the speed limit.

By flashing high beams, other drivers are able to effectively combat unsafe driving and high speeds.

Therefore, the ultimate goal of the speed trap has been accomplished and all high beam flashers are actually aiding justice instead of obstructing it.

Unless, of course, safety was not the ultimate goal of the speed trap, but rather revenue generation.

By the obstruction of justice logic, if I saw my friend's browser history included searches on where to hire a hitman, if I successfully talked him out of meeting with any potential hitmen, I could be obstructing a sting operation and should be hauled off to jail.

Speed traps, under the assumption that police use them for their proper purpose, are for keeping drivers safe and speeds at or below the speed limit.

By flashing high beams, other drivers are able to effectively combat unsafe driving and high speeds.

Therefore, the ultimate goal of the speed trap has been accomplished and all high beam flashers are actually aiding justice instead of obstructing it.

Unless, of course, safety was not the ultimate goal of the speed trap, but rather revenue generation.

By the obstruction of justice logic, if I saw my friend's browser history included searches on where to hire a hitman, if I successfully talked him out of meeting with any potential hitmen, I could be obstructing a sting operation and should be hauled off to jail.

Deterrence. A hefty ticket is more likely to prevent you from doing it again as opposed to another motorist warning you allowing you to get away with it.

Obstruction of justice reasoning is bullshit. They should call what it really is: obstruction of funds.

That's why all documented tickets have been dismissed

That's why I always have couple slices of cooked bacon in my car. When I get pull over I just wrap the bacons in my registration and give it to the cop. Haven't have any ticket I years.

And oh yeah, all my cars have problem with the headlights flashing by themselves.

That's why I always have couple slices of cooked bacon in my car. When I get pull over I just wrap the bacons in my registration and give it to the cop. Haven't have any ticket I years.

And oh yeah, all my cars have problem with the headlights flashing by themselves.

That's why they call it greasing the gears of democracy.

I'd call the cops on you right now if I wouldn't get arrested for obstructing somehow.

• 6 months later...