Ford F350. vs. Ram 3500

Sledhead36

They are both good trucks. The Ford tends to have more power and tow better but the Dodge looks to have a better interior. Stock for stock I think the Ford is a better choice but the Dodge looks better in my opinion. At least the new ones do. Drive them and you make the decision.

Im assuming brand new? If you can find yourself a 2013 3500 with the aisin 6 speed and high output (850 lb ft) motor, the ford wont touch it with a trailer behind it. My dad has put 100k trouble free towing miles on his 2010 Ram 2500, and he is planning on trading his in on a 2013 or 2014 3500 with the aisin trans. For 2013 on they made some significant powertrain and chassis improvements to the heavy duty rams, and as you noticed the interior has been made even nicer too.

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 and our company buys all Ram 1500-3500 trucks. So far no complaints really from anyone. I like mine but it seems as of ~40k miles, the wear is starting to set in. I was hoping it would stretch out to at least ~75k, but we'll see how it holds up overall.

Need a new tow vehicle, who has owned either of these and what are your thoughts on Ford vs. Ram? The good, the bad, the ugly.......

What years are you looking at? Diesel's or gas?

I've had 2 F250's (92 V8 and an 08 V10) and my current F350 6.0. They ride pretty good for a large truck, power in the V10 and 6.0 are phenominal and they stop nice and handle payloads with ease. The interior's on 08 + SD's are very nice pre 08's are nice but more simplistic. The 05+ trucks ride alittle nicer and shorter turning radius than previous models due to the coil springs in front. The 6.0's need some preventable maint to make them a great motor, once that's done they really are a nice diesel. The 5.4 is underpowered IMO and the V10 is a helluva motor but does like gas. My 3V V10 could tow anything a diesel could but got no better than 11.5 Mpg and that didn't drop off much when towing...thank goodness. My 6.0 gets around 18mpg.

I've driven my friends 2010 Ram 3500 and IMO it rode worse than both my 08/04, it was closer to my 92 IMO. Seemed to wanna hunt for the right gear when towing heavier loads ( I've had 3 friends with trans issues in stock trucks as well) and the interiors are a huge improvement over earlier Rams, but just couldn't get comfortable and didn't like the mirrors on them. Other thing that bothered me was the quad cab rear doors, it's an absolute joke, Ford and Chevy has the better room in that class. unless you pay big bucks for the mega cab.

As for a Chevy/GMC.......my In laws had a 2500 Chevy and a guy I use to work with had a 2500 GMC both with the 6.0 I believe. For some reason I liked the GMC a lot better, both had good power, decent ride and towed well. I've never liked any GM truck interiors and the newer ones aren't much of an improvement over the late 80's-90's truck IMO. My inlaws did have some electrical issues and they ended up trading it in.

Everyone has their favorites and their are pros/cons to all, but I truly believe the SD's are better workhorses. And the newer SD's are just a helluva truck all around,

Goodluck.

How important is rear seating? If you want it to be comfortable for taller people, then the Dodge is the only one that has a ton of room in the back for passengers. If this is something you don't care about, then I would go with the Ford.

There are some really good comparison tests out there with the big 3. You'll get better milage towing with the Ford over the Dodge(which I could careless about the cost of this as much as how often you have to pull over to fill up). The Dodge is also really slow. It's quite unbelieveable how slow my friends 2012 Ram Dually is. There is a drag race of the big 3 where the Ford/Chevy put buses on the Ram. While my goal isn't to race the thing, I do want a vehicle that can get out of it's own way.

As far as service goes, I can't speak for dodge trucks, but I have never had a single problem with any Ford Truck I've ever owned. I buy them and they never see the dealership again until I'm ready for a new one. My 2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax was the same way with the exception they could never get the truck to drive straight.

For me the only saving grace for the Ram is the fact you don't have to use DEF and the interior is better(I don't care for the brown of the King Ranch F350's, haven't seen a platinum to compare)

Hope this helps some. :)

I've driven my friends 2010 Ram 3500 and IMO it rode worse than both my 08/04, it was closer to my 92 IMO. Seemed to wanna hunt for the right gear when towing heavier loads ( I've had 3 friends with trans issues in stock trucks as well) and the interiors are a huge improvement over earlier Rams, but just couldn't get comfortable and didn't like the mirrors on them. Other thing that bothered me was the quad cab rear doors, it's an absolute joke, Ford and Chevy has the better room in that class. unless you pay big bucks for the mega cab.

Trans issues on stock trucks (truly stock, not stock parts with a tune) are VERY far and few between with the Dodge 68RFE. You either have unlucky friends, or they're misrepresenting their trucks. People don't seem to be able to let go of Dodge's past with poor transmissions...

As for quad cab rear doors, yes they were a joke, back in 2009. Since 2010 the quad cab is not even available on 2500 and 3500 rams, only the Regular Cab, Crew Cab, and Mega Cab. The Dodge Crew cab is actually larger than the comparable Chevy and Ford 4 doors, and obviously the Mega Cab is even bigger yet, but it comes with only the 6 foot bed.

For reference....

Biggest 4 door cab you could get on a 3500 Ram from 2003-2009:

http://images.canadianlisted.com/nlarge/2008-dodge-ram-3500-slt-quad-cab-4x4-diesel-dually-34888-bad-credit-experts--apply-now--604auto-com_7996297.jpg

Smallest 4 door cab you can get on a 3500 Ram from 2010-2014:

http://1-photos2.ebizautos.com/1070/10548006/10548006_1.jpg

Just to clarify ;).

There are some really good comparison tests out there with the big 3. You'll get better milage towing with the Ford over the Dodge(which I could careless about the cost of this as much as how often you have to pull over to fill up). The Dodge is also really slow. It's quite unbelieveable how slow my friends 2012 Ram Dually is. There is a drag race of the big 3 where the Ford/Chevy put buses on the Ram. While my goal isn't to race the thing, I do want a vehicle that can get out of it's own way.

As far as service goes, I can't speak for dodge trucks, but I have never had a single problem with any Ford Truck I've ever owned. I buy them and they never see the dealership again until I'm ready for a new one. My 2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax was the same way with the exception they could never get the truck to drive straight.

For me the only saving grace for the Ram is the fact you don't have to use DEF and the interior is better(I don't care for the brown of the King Ranch F350's, haven't seen a platinum to compare)

Hope this helps some. :)

Some of the info above is questionable and some of it is wrong. For the 2012 Dually, your buddy could have purchased a Cummins Ram with anywhere from 610 lb feet all the way up to 800 lb ft, with a rear gear of 3.42 - 4.10s, so without specifics info like "it's really slow" isn't super accurate. They have classically never been as fast as the Fords and Chevy's unloaded, but the torque curve of the Cummins (being an Inline 6) has ALWAYS been better with a trailer behind it. For 2013+, the 850 lb ft. Cummins is available with the Aisin Transmission, which is the same trans that has been used on the 4500/5500 Cab and Chassis Rams since 2007ish.

As for not using DEF, this is not true. For 2013-2014, all Cummins Rams use DEF, in combination with the DPF in the exhaust, and a HUGE reduction in Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

Edited by spankis

Some of the info above is questionable and some of it is wrong. For the 2012 Dually, your buddy could have purchased a Cummins Ram with anywhere from 610 lb feet all the way up to 800 lb ft, with a rear gear of 3.42 - 4.10s, so without specifics info like "it's really slow" isn't super accurate. They have classically never been as fast as the Fords and Chevy's unloaded, but the torque curve of the Cummins (being an Inline 6) has ALWAYS been better with a trailer behind it. For 2013+, the 850 lb ft. Cummins is available with the Aisin Transmission, which is the same trans that has been used on the 4500/5500 Cab and Chassis Rams since 2007ish.

As for not using DEF, this is not true. For 2013-2014, all Cummins Rams use DEF, in combination with the DPF in the exhaust, and a HUGE reduction in Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

Noted on the DEF, I didn't know that they already had to meet the requirement. I thought they had another year to go.

Here is a review, just glanced at the dodge, and it pretty much what I was saying about being slower and fuel economy.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2012-ram-2500-laramie-longhorn-4x4-mega-cab-page-2

Actually I remember the review now... the stopping distance on the ford was terrible... lol. That aside it's still a good review of the big 3. But as Spankis has noted, appears to be some changes to the motor/trans that may be worth noting.

Here is a review, just glanced at the dodge, and it pretty much what I was saying about being slower and fuel economy.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2012-ram-2500-laramie-longhorn-4x4-mega-cab-page-2

That review is of a 2012 though, and for 2013-2014 the Dodge trucks have a higher output motor available, a different 6 speed auto option, and a completely new emissions system.

That review is of a 2012 though, and for 2013-2014 the Dodge trucks have a higher output motor available, a different 6 speed auto option, and a completely new emissions system.

You got me before my edit.

Regardless sled, let us know what you think of them after driving them both. I know my friends 2012 ram interior was pretty nice and the extra room in back is also nice. But I'll let Spankis correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think you may be stuck with a short bed if you get the mega cab?

All really good input IMO.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong here but can you even get a long bed with the mega cab Ram in new trucks?

And the DEF is a PITA, we have to use it in our FireTrucks at work now. Just a PITA

And the 3 Rams I was referring too did all have trans issues, all were stock and all im pretty darn sure were under the 100k mile mark. one was an enclosed toy hauler ( Hauling his AC Cobra to road race events. the other two were used to haul campers ( 5th wheel and a hitch ). 2of them had trannys replaced with no issues since and the other ( toy hauler ) traded if in on a Duramax.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong here but can you even get a long bed with the mega cab Ram in new trucks?

You cannot get a longbed with the MegaCab from the factory, but several companies do the conversion for you. They are nuts when done, but I would not want to park one :).

http://www.longbedmytruck.com/

These things are loooooooooooong.

BEFORE:

http://image.dieselpowermag.com/f/diesel-trucks/longbedmytruckcom/28664956/before.jpg

AFTER:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/attachments/2010-2012-general-discussion/21222d1264636560-2010-long-bed-mega-cab-after.jpg

Drove hundreds of f350s and 3500 in every variation. The dodge will get better gas mileage. And would be my choice for a tow vehicle. F350s in older trucks have better quality cabs, but the new 3500 are hard to beat, and greatly improved.

I will throw something a bit different at you. When it comes to guys hauling trailers at the track, I see F350 trucks and GM products, next to no Dodge trucks.

This is from going to NMCA, LSX, and other big races where people are hauling from all over the country. They are pulling everything from 28 foot rigs, to big ass Gooseneck, tri axle deals.

You cannot get a longbed with the MegaCab from the factory, but several companies do the conversion for you. They are nuts when done, but I would not want to park one :).

http://www.longbedmytruck.com/

These things are loooooooooooong.

BEFORE:

http://image.dieselpowermag.com/f/diesel-trucks/longbedmytruckcom/28664956/before.jpg

AFTER:

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/attachments/2010-2012-general-discussion/21222d1264636560-2010-long-bed-mega-cab-after.jpg

that's the only other truck other than my duramax I'd like to own. If I ever buy out of the GM family it's going to be a megacab truck. Although the long bed would be nice to have when hauling the 5er I'm not sure I'd want to deal with all that length on a daily basis. The turning radius of that truck has to be terrible.