Adjusting valves while engine is running?

hpfiend

Hey all-

How much oil loss/mess/splatter are we talking about if I were to remove the valve covers and try to adjust the rockers while the engine is running? I did it 3 times not running and am pretty sure it is right but after friday's dismal results it's worth checking or maybe they backed off. Ran 97-98 mph last year and 92-94 mph this year.

Thanks!

Andrew

Sbc right? I adjusted them in my truck with it running, I didn't lose any oil (stock motor though). It wasn't squirting all over the place or anything, seemed like it just came up the pushrod and when it reached the hole in the rocker it just kind of trailed down towards the spring.

Or, you can buy "oil deflector clips" that direct the spray so it just runs down the valvetrain.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6966682409P?ci_src=184425893&ci_sku=SPM6966682409&sid=IDx20130125xMPALLx028

or I'm sure Jegs has them from Mr. Gasket...

How much oil you loose depends on how long it takes you to do the adjustment, but it should be less than 1/2 a quart even if you are slow. The biggest issue is the smoke from it getting on the headers usually.

Or, you can buy "oil deflector clips" that direct the spray so it just runs down the valvetrain.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6966682409P?ci_src=184425893&ci_sku=SPM6966682409&sid=IDx20130125xMPALLx028

or I'm sure Jegs has them from Mr. Gasket...

How much oil you loose depends on how long it takes you to do the adjustment, but it should be less than 1/2 a quart even if you are slow. The biggest issue is the smoke from it getting on the headers usually.

Came here to post this, best money ever spent.

No where near 1-2 quarts.

I always do mine running. The clips are ok, but even better is something like the pic posted above, or like I did, which was just cut holes above every valve. If you want to borrow mine, I can try and dig it out.

No where near 1-2 quarts.

I always do mine running. The clips are ok, but even better is something like the pic posted above, or like I did, which was just cut holes above every valve. If you want to borrow mine, I can try and dig it out.

wont argue with you but when i adjusted the valves on the derby motor, that oil pump was in full swing. its like dude said, it all depends on how long it will take you. in my case it took a little bit, made a huge ass mess, and i also felt the need to catch my forearm in the fan blade. it wasnt a good day. :fuckyeah: