350 compared to 305

gt-titan

when it comes to the chevy motors what is the big diff between the two motors ....the 305 and the 350...i know they take all the same bolt on parts...is there a big diff...i see that the 305 is a 5.0 liter what has more stock power...the 305 5.0 or the 302 5.0 ford motor....just trying to fig out some things....just not sure witch way i should go..

A big difference between the 305 and 350 is the bore size. If you want to use 350 heads, you have to be careful of the valve size, the 2.02 valves will not work (some people put valve relief's in the block to make it work, doesn't seem worth it to me though). 305 compared to the 302, I would go 302 as performance parts give you more bang for the buck with the Ford compared to the chevy. Working with a 350 is a different story though.

A big difference between the 305 and 350 is the bore size. If you want to use 350 heads, you have to be careful of the valve size, the 2.02 valves will not work (some people put valve relief's in the block to make it work, doesn't seem worth it to me though). 305 compared to the 302, I would go 302 as performance parts give you more bang for the buck with the Ford compared to the chevy. Working with a 350 is a different story though.

what if i get a 350 short block and i want to bolt all my 305 stuff on it ...what would this do

what im looking at doing is finding a short block....350 but i dont want to change my motor setup in the truck it has a 305 in it and is a nice setup with the surp belt setup ... very clean swap .. i just dont know if its woth all the work to take out the 305...

the 305 is all stock and runs very good....but i would like to add a little more..

In my experience a 350 is better in every way- better power, better economy, better aftermarket. Although if I had a GOOD 305 in a daily beater, I wouldn't go through all the trouble to swap in an unknown 350.

PRETTY sure they didn't do the vortec motors until around 96 or so, should be super easy to tell. If it's from a 92 it should be either TPI or TBI depending on what it was from, I'm pretty fuzzy about all that nowadays.

Let me put my flame suit on...

Get an LSx motor, if you do it right and look for deals it will cost just as much or possibly less. I'd bet it will make more Whp/$ to be honest.

Well yes, that's vastly superior in every way but will be quite a bit more work to swap into an existing 305 car.

Well yes, that's vastly superior in every way but will be quite a bit more work to swap into an existing 305 car.

True but once it's in, it's in. Blow the motor? Want more power? Call a junkyard and see if any Escalades or HD trucks are In there and bam, 6.0 in that thing.

In my experience a 350 is better in every way- better power, better economy, better aftermarket. Although if I had a GOOD 305 in a daily beater, I wouldn't go through all the trouble to swap in an unknown 350.

305 is a boat anchor. 5.3, LSx and be done.

There are just so many things that get confusing simply because they made the first generation small block chevy for so long. Basically a 350 is a direct bolt in, especially if it is from around the same year. If it's fuel injected that poses a couple other minor challenges, but it's totally doable and isn't expensive when compared to other things at all. Depends some on what you started with and wanted to end up with as far as whats easier. Tell us more about your current setup and goals, and I'm sure you'll get more specific feedback.

5.3L lsx truck motor and go.

/thread

+1

Don't jack around with anything else. These motors are everywhere, and can take to mods. They are cheap, and you can get one with all the electronics, etc. add boost, rape, repeat.

There are just so many things that get confusing simply because they made the first generation small block chevy for so long. Basically a 350 is a direct bolt in, especially if it is from around the same year. If it's fuel injected that poses a couple other minor challenges, but it's totally doable and isn't expensive when compared to other things at all. Depends some on what you started with and wanted to end up with as far as whats easier. Tell us more about your current setup and goals, and I'm sure you'll get more specific feedback.

ok...well i picked up this 1992 s10 that has a 305 in it.. the guy told me it was a 305 vortex motor out of a camaro...he said a 92....it is all stock and it looks like a clean swap with working cruz and a/c the truck has 90,000 mile on it and is very clean for a 91.. has a 700r4 tranny... the motor is a thottle body motor.. he said it is a vortex motor because it has the valve covers with the bolts in the center....

so what i want is .... i like the setup...meaning the surp belt setup no v belts but im not a chevy guy but i know the 305 is not as hot as the 350...im going to do a few mods like exhaust and such but i can get a short block 355 but id like to just put all my parts on it so it looks the same but run better...meaning little more power... the 355 has a mild cam..and i guss im worried if the thottle body would handle the 355 so i can leave it with that setup....i know nothing on the chevy side..so i dont no much on what works together....still learning...but if i can just put in a cam in the 305 and do the exhaust and a few other things would i be happy with it..it is my daily and my project...

If its an auto behind a TPI motor, run the block casting number, and pop a valve cover off and get the head casting. You'd be surprised people fuck up what those motors are all the time. Report back with the numbers and we can tell you exactly what they came from.