Re-Break In Period...

FocusDave01

You want to vary the temperature of the cylinders and rings. Don't put it on the highway and hold a constant rpm. High rpms and then lower rpms will most effectively seat everything.

Disclaimer: By "high rpms" I don't mean redline. I believe you've been through that already.

Basically' date=' just ride the bike. Don't push the engine and don't put it on the freeway for long distances. You shouldn't be afraid to rev it, either. A couple higher rpm take offs or accelerations won't hurt the bike.[/quote']

True, steady rpms is bad. Especially on a re-built engine, with the new piston rings. They aren't the same as from the factory, where it had a little break in time on a test stand. Plus re-builds can vary, the fit of the rings in the bore, the type and quality of the honing of the cylinder surface, etc. The break-in may be more or less than expected.

Just to add my two cents about breaking in, I believe you should break it in as the manufacturer suggests. Since you are only breaking in the engine this doesn't apply to you, but generally speaking for future reference, when you have a brand new bike you're breaking in more than just the engine. You're simultaneously breaking in the tires, tranny, engine, and generally testing the bike out for full functionality. So does it make sense to take it easy? Absolutely! I know when I was breaking in my bike it gave me a few false neutrals, and it was completely random! Now what if you're floggin' your new machine and you get a false neutral, you free rev the piss out of it while god knows what is going on in your gear box, and then your engine blows from being over-revved because it isn't even broken in yet.

So I broke mine in nice & easy

Dude break it in like the manual says. I'd go with what the r & d dept at yamaha recommends before the motoman method. you have to remember race bikes that are broken in the hard way are usually rebuilt after each race

Race bikes aren't torn down after every race unless it is a superbike or FX build...

Break in is simple. Ride it with 200+/- miles and the traditional oil that whatever recommends. Don't hit redline and don't over rev. But, load it and un load it with lugging it in top gear and vary the revs and load...

You get the idea. Vary speeds...

Anyways, once you got 200+/- miles under her, drain the oil and change the filter. With fresh oil, she's ready to rip.

We've done it that way for years and never had a single engine failure... Knock on wood.

But, if you do it as the manuall states, understand they list it pretty safe. In other words, they cover their asses and make sure that if you did follow the rules (Always say you did) then the motor will be fine.

These guys that think it takes 500-1500 miles or whatever to break it in are insane...

Do what you feel is right, but don't let people say the "way the racers do it is fine if you tear your motor down every weekend..." Riiiiight.:rolleyes:

i have a vid of the kawasaki factory somewhere around here...

i shit you not, as soon as the bike rolls off the line, it goes straight to the dyno where they flog the hell out of it. 5 minutes after its built.

break in periods are overrated. just ride the damn thing.

We do it on a dyno or at the track, but essentially, just as you stated. I said +/- 200 miles to make him feel better...:D