Mid Ohio Track Day on April 25th and 26th

PrincessPratt

thats cool. I will let Jig know next time that he is just here to take pictures of us. That way he wont get mad again and everyone will be happy and I can have nice shots. Since Jig kicked out my friend he barley had any pictures of us with good quality. He was still trying to get focus on the most of the beginning of the day lol

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. I just wanted to make that clear. There are no formal rules for visitors with cameras. So' date=' the STT photog has no grounds to dismiss another photog. I get the 'professional courtesy' bit and completely understand your point. My point is no rules were broken. If dude's photos are really that awesome it won't matter how many other cameras are out there.

[b']Compete, or get beat!!

(I don't care, either way. I just wanted to use that phrase.) :cool:

I see your point. It's just courtesy and honestly, if it came down to it, the Asian guy got to do something that maybe Jig saw and that could have made him think it was a guy that was going to sell pics... He probably went to Monte and told him what was up and the corner workers were told to not allow that anymore.

I understand the whole pro vs. average Joe stuff, but it is principle, I guess...

I also think if you do a good job marketing yourself and have great pics, it doesn't matter...

thats cool. I will let Jig know next time that he is just here to take pictures of us. That way he wont get mad again and everyone will be happy and I can have nice shots. Since Jig kicked out my friend he barley had any pictures of us with good quality. He was still trying to get focus on the most of the beginning of the day lol

Yup. Asking can go a long way. Being uptight and feeling you are owed something can actually cause a lot of grief. I suspect if your friend would have asked or told Jig what he was doing, it wouldn't have been an issue...

Had it been after asking, next time, have him find me and we'll get it sorted.

By the way, were you the guys that were late both days?

Actually, there are authorized photographers allowed to sell pics at the races. Trust me... Also, it is unique at the races in that an average Smoe isn't allowed access a guy with Press credentials has. Eurotech, VIP Photography, etc. shoot all the time at the AMA and WERA events and they also sell their images to mags and online publications... They also sell to the racers a LOT. They have dedicated sites to buy from, etc... Track days may not have press guys there, but the professional photographer guy is regarded the same as the guys at the races that sell...

We're saying the same thing here I think. That's not unique at all. This is the way it is all sports/motor sports venues except when you get to the really large stuff like the NFL or MLB.

You aren't going to get the same pic he can from inside the fence at the top of the keyhole if you are up on top of the hill or outside the chain link fence. That's my point... You can shoot like the guy at Putnam from the front straight all day long. You can shoot like Yota did at the esses, etc. But at corner station #10 and from behind like the pic I posted? Nope. They will not allow you to go there.

You might sweet talk your way there, but again, if you are caught or it is found out, you need to be respectful and understand you didn't have permission...

I understand that and am making the point from the aspect of shooting from places that are allowed. This is the same as all the MMA I shoot. I get to shoot right up against the cage everyone else that just shows up with a camera shoots from general areas.

You can shoot from a lot of cool spots for sure that are general areas. Personally, I like the artistic shots of us in the pits with helmets on and getting ready, etc. The guys never get those as they are always out on track shooting action stuff...

I'd buy every pic from you if you did the artistic shots in the pits, etc. They are cool to me and are something that we typically never see.

Now, if you call or email Monte or ask me to ask him about shooting an event and there isn't a photo guy there, he will grant you access and allow you to make some coing if you choose. All ya gotta do is ask...

I really like the artistic type stuff as well. I would love to get up there to shoot sometime, but I don't think I would do it for track shots (outside of common areas) to sell unless there absolutely was no other photographer there. Why waste an opportunity right?

I think everyone though up there would benefit from a little competition between photographers or with having a group. You have a preferred shooter for STT, that's all good, give him first dibs on a location/locations to shoot from.

Edited by fusion

Yea, we didnt really know that there was a photographer there specially for that event. I thought everyone could just go there and take pictures... With that note. We didnt even think about needing to talk to anyone about it. Then the corner guys let him over there. Thought everything was gravy.

We were only there on Sunday. but yep we came late... Also the other two that were there on Sat i believe they were late as well.. The guy on the yellow bike always makes us late!

Yea, we didnt really know that there was a photographer there specially for that event. I thought everyone could just go there and take pictures... With that note. We didnt even think about needing to talk to anyone about it. Then the corner guys let him over there. Thought everything was gravy.

We were only there on Sunday. but yep we came late... Also the other two that were there on Sat i believe they were late as well.. The guy on the yellow bike always makes us late!

Yeah, there were two of the guys that were late both days and are late every event. From here on out, tell them if they get there after Rider's Meeting, they are possibly going to have to sit out a few sessions or they may have to forfeit the event altogether... We require people to be there before RM and they are ALWAYS late. Unacceptable - everyone else is there, but them and it looks pretty bad that they have been allowed to go out...

I've been biting my tongue on all this photo stuff...

Here's the drill... STT uses an authorized photographer that gets paid by selling pics at the track and after the event via his site and CDs. You are MORE than welcome to come up and shoot pics. BUT... BUT... you cannot take them and sell them in an attempt to make money. It's simple as that.

Just like at the races - are those guys pricks because they are allowed certain access to certain points on the track and not you? Seriously...

You can come up and shoot your load off until your trigger finger is down to the bone. Just don't go and sell them to the people at the track and/or post a site to sell them out of.

Unless you email Monte direct (monte@sportbiketracktime.com) and ask if you can come up and shoot for that event if there isn't an authorized camera guy there.

It's really simple. If the guy got shitty with you, be a professional guy and tell him you are not shooting any pics that are going to be sold or be placed on a site for sale. They are personal pics and you have a lot of friends you know as Mid-Ohio is your home track. He can whine all he wants if that's really the case, but in the end he is the one selling pics and trying to make a living off doing it. He just wants to make sure you aren't undercutting him on selling shit out there when he is the only one allowed via STT to do so. Just like Press people being allowed to take pics from certain vantage points at the races...

I just want to clarify I was not up there taking pictures as you infer here.

I understand/agree with everything that has been said except one part:

If there is an ohio riders STT day and I go up there and take pictures then come back and post them all over the web for free or donations, how is that not undercutting the designated STT guy, how is that acceptable while charging for the photos is not?

For the record I've contacted Monte both last year and this year to better understand their photo policy, with no response.

Edited by street pilot