F150 Clutch Problems?

mrhobbz

So I recently bought a 97 Ford F150 from my dad. 1 owner with 73k miles 2wd 4.2L v6.This is the first 5 speed I've owned but compared to other manuals I've driven the clutch engagement seems kind of funky. I expected it to start grabbing with the pedal at about the half way mark but it doesn't engage until the pedal is almost completely out.

Truck drives and shifts fine, is there a way to adjust the pedal or would I more than likely be looking at a cable replacement?

Aren't these a hydraulic clutch? If so, there is no adjustment.

Yep just looked it up a bit ago it is hydraulic. I talked to my father and he said its been like that the entire time he owned. Clutch feels nice and stiff and and it goes into gear nice and smooth so I guess I'll leave it be

I encountered something very similar with my RX-7 in that the clutch did not release sufficiently and had excessive pedal play at the beginning of its travel. The Clutch MC actuator rod needed to be adjusted longer in order to apply pressure sooner in the pedal's travel on the hydraulics. In effect, this pulled the Grab/Release point further up in the pedal's travel.

For the sake of clarity, let's assume that the entire pedal travel is 50mm (2"). These probably aren't the exact numbers, but illustrate the idea better than an abstract direction. If the clutch is releasing when you press the pedal down 12.5mm (1/2") instead of at 25mm (1"), the actuator rod needs to be adjusted shorter to pull the grab/release point closer to the floor. Once the grab point is at the proper point in the pedal's travel, then adjust the pedal play.

For my RX-7, 1-2mm of pedal play is within spec. Also, I would highly recommend purchasing a speedbleeder for the clutch slave cylinder. For $5, it turns a tedious, boring 2-person job into a quick and simple task you an accomplish with zero help.