Obama to ban import of US military surplus

jjjxlr8

Looks like the price of US military firearms just went up! I suspect other imports will be targeted next if they aren't already. Then surplus ammo...

We just can't have all these criminals and gang bangers toting around M1 Garands, with their high capacity 8 round clips! :dumb:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/obamas-ban-on-surplus-relics-reveals-his-anti-gun-extremism-says-ccrkba-221679761.html

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/29/obama-announces-new-gun-control-measures-targets-military-surplus-imports/

http://www.dailynews.com/general-news/20130829/ap-exclusive-obama-offers-new-gun-control-steps-curbs-on-importing-military-surplus-weapons

He's also going after the Trust, LLC routes to NFA goodness.

Because we have such a problem with those types of weapons...

This guy's a fucking idiot.

It really makes no sense. You better believe that the BATFE is checking the backgrounds of all persons listed on the trust. Maybe this one is just to appease his supporters without actually doing anything at all?

WTF :\ I just read the below fact sheet and I'm still confused. I understand part of it. They are trying to prevent certain types of guns from being imported. But at the same time I think there should be an exemption for classical weapons.

The whole Trust thing has always bothered me.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/08/29/fact-sheet-new-executive-actions-reduce-gun-violence

WTF :\ I just read the below fact sheet and I'm still confused. I understand part of it. They are trying to prevent certain types of guns from being imported. But at the same time I think there should be an exemption for classical weapons.

The whole Trust thing has always bothered me.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/08/29/fact-sheet-new-executive-actions-reduce-gun-violence

The only shit that the executive branch can regulate without Congress is stuff they already have legislation backing. In order for a weapon to be imported, it has to be considered a sporting firearm. The ATF decides what is and isn't a sporting firearm. This is why we don't have any imported handguns in .380 (like the Glock) and why Saiga's are imported without a pistol grip. All pistol grip AK's in the country and either built domestically from imported parts kits, or built domestically with new parts. So they can decide that all of those Garands that South Korea is trying to dump aren't "sporting" guns, and refuse to allow them in country. This battle started waaay back in Obama's first term, and to my knowledge doesn't affect anything other than the (American built) Garands being imported back.

Trusts are used primarily for people that live in places where their chief LEO refuses to sign off on class 3 items. The NFA gives the ATF leeway in deciding the rules on how people can acquire that stuff, so they are capable of changing the rules (but not preventing people from getting them). I would assume that the ATF is still doing background checks on the people that put their name on them. There are other reasons for using trusts, but that's the big one. Supposedly in return for requiring checks on people in the trust, they are totally eliminating the CLEO sign off. In all honesty, that trade off would make it way easier all around and there would be little need to do a trust, aside from other issues like multiple people having access or in order to pass the weapon down in a will.

Truth is, it's just them tooting their horns over nothing. They are preventing what would be big heavy antiquated, and probably not cheap, rifles from hitting the market for collectors, and making it no harder for law abiding citizens to get SBRs and suppressors seeing how no criminal would ever bother paying for the $200 tax stamp, fill out the paperwork and wait 6 months to cut the end of the barrel off their shotgun.

How will the closer inspection/background checks of gun trusts/LLC-buys eliminate the possibility of criminals getting machine guns? Even with Trusts/LLC's machine guns still cost 5K-50K... what criminal can afford a machine gun?

It means Barry can say he took a tough stance on gun crime and succeeded in all the bullshit he claimed he would do, and that congress is worthless trash for not helping in his oppression. That's really all he cares about on this topic.

Best qoute ever from a friend who is an attorney and grew up overseas: "how could such a great country freely elect such an idiot for president, you people are acting like a buch of assbackward Europeans"

No joke we took him out shooting in college and I will never forget what he said after emptying a 12 gauge "god I love America, all the sex, beer, and guns a man could want"