Subwoofer help

AudiOn19s

Looking for suggestions on decent 10" subwoofer. after years of living in the trunk of my car the box and sub finally gave way to all of the chemicals they live around on a regular basis.

Amp for the sub is a 400/1 Rockford Fosgate amp...I wish I had more specifics to give but I've been away from audio specs for soo many years I really don't know what more to tell you.

Previous Sub was a "Middle of the road" Fosgate sub circa 2002 timeframe. I think it was about $150-200 back in the day.

Trick is because of the limited space in the trunk the sub has to be optimal for a small enclosure (.75-.8 cubic feet). Box will be ported because I love Ghetto base for my tastes

For as long as the Fosgate sub lasted I'd look into another one without reservations. Was looking at JL Audio stuff but I can't separate nor find educated reviews on WX vs W0 vs. W1 vs W3. I can pick out subtle diffrences but I don't know squat other than the name if you haven't picked that up already.

Other brands I should be looking at?

I'd say for ghetto bass you would want a 12" sub. And you might need a bigger box for the correct ported requirements.

I don't dis-agree but this has to go in the Trunk of my Audi with my entire detailing business also in the same trunk...it's completely packed all the time back there. 10" with small box was even in the way.

With the old box I tired it sealed at first and was completely disappointed. Once ported it was better. Wheel cleaner pretty much ate it up over the course of 8-9 years.

My sugestions with that small of a box requirement .75~ cu ft you will be limited to 8" drivers. With that I would recommend sundowner E series or SA series. There are determining factors to how subs preform in smaller or larger boxes.

If you can go a little larger 1-2 net cubic ft (2-2.5 gross volume) then I would recommend a 10. I just don't see replacing a 10 in a .75 box working well at all no matter the manufacture.

I just installed a fosgate amp in my wifes rabbit, powering a JL Audio 10 (cant remember the w or v ratings for it) if you want to swing by and hear it.

I have 2 more of them sitting in the basement if you want to buy one off me. I was thinking about moving to an 8" woofer anyway.

Let me know.

Ive used the infinity kappa 10" sub in two vehicles and they worked great for me - even in a sealed .75 box. The finish is nice and quality is very good on this sub. I went for quality of sound but some push them hard just for deep bass with good results.

Some say the kappa components are too bright but rarely seen a negative comment on the subs. Here are a few links for the model I am talking about:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-2wG3zS38Dh0/p_1081009W/Infinity-100-9w.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_20026_Infinity-Kappa-100.9W.html

http://www.amazon.com/INFINITY-SERIES-KAPPA-100-9W-PERFORMANCE-SUBWOOFER/dp/B002MXQAAC

Fi Q would work well.

I used to be in the sub scene pretty heavy - made stickers for most of the forum boner companies - TC Sounds, Fi, SoundSplinter, RE, Ascendant..

It's all about the enclosure, man. Just about any midrange consumer sub will deliver in spades if it's properly boxed. If it were me, I'd grab a lowish BL, lightweight woofer (RE SE?) and do a stealthbox-style spare tire or trunkside enclosure.

Here's The Laptop Guy's chihuahua in my 18" RL-p. LOL

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2339/cimg1487iw3.jpg

I used to be in the sub scene pretty heavy - made stickers for most of the forum boner companies - TC Sounds, Fi, SoundSplinter, RE, Ascendant..

It's all about the enclosure, man. Just about any midrange consumer sub will deliver in spades if it's properly boxed. If it were me, I'd grab a lowish BL, lightweight woofer (RE SE?) and do a stealthbox-style spare tire or trunkside enclosure.

Here's The Laptop Guy's chihuahua in my 18" RL-p. LOL

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2339/cimg1487iw3.jpg

Low bl sub in a small box? Crazy

And there's no use running a re se only on 400 watts in a smaller than optimum enclosure. I will agree that the enclosure is more important than the woofer.

I would suggest a Sundown E-10. I have owned a SA12 in my own 2ft2 33hz box for over a year now. It sounded great and had a fairly flat response. In the trunk of my jetta it did a 141.8DB sealed in kick. I purchased it from SSA audio who has great customer service. I can design a box if you would like and show you some response graphs you might like but i cant build anything. The enclosure is half the sound anyways.

I have been out of the car audio scene for quite some time now, but I think I remember hearing something about stuffing the enclosure (with something like pillow stuffing) that makes the sub work like its in a larger enclosure. Idk for sure, but maybe someone here could shed some light on that that has a little more knowledge than myself.

I have been out of the car audio scene for quite some time now, but I think I remember hearing something about stuffing the enclosure (with something like pillow stuffing) that makes the sub work like its in a larger enclosure. Idk for sure, but maybe someone here could shed some light on that that has a little more knowledge than myself.

Polyfil or fiberglass insulation. It works to reduce impedance.

I would suggest a Sundown E-10. I have owned a SA12 in my own 2ft2 33hz box for over a year now. It sounded great and had a fairly flat response. In the trunk of my jetta it did a 141.8DB sealed in kick. I purchased it from SSA audio who has great customer service. I can design a box if you would like and show you some response graphs you might like but i cant build anything. The enclosure is half the sound anyways.

Pm me a design based around that, I'd be interested to see. I assume your using linear teams software?

Here is a Sundown E10V2 modeled in a sealed .8FT3 box. Should sound really good. Cars add and usally resonate around 30-40hz so you will see a boost there. You could go smaller and add polyfill. Parts express is a great place for it and is close to dayton so shipping is fast. Sundown may not be the best but i have found it to be the best value or maybe try Obsidian audio. Seem to be a great value. Owner collaborates with the owner of sundown so slimier products. I just dont have first hand experience with them and they also do not make a 10".

http://i.imgur.com/hEWsQuy.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/X9sVl11.jpg

Low bl sub in a small box?

Nah, suggested fiberglass enclosure to maximize internal volume

Polyfil or fiberglass insulation. It works to reduce impedance.

for burps maybe, .. for music I think it's pretty well inert electrically. primary function is to break wave reinforcement/cancellation - makes the response "look" more like a larger enclosure.

but I agree, when you put it in a car all the math and graphs mean shit unless it's about extremes

Edited by cybe
spl::sq as ford::chevy

Just trying to help. That is where i would draw the line before you fall down the slippery slope of getting good sound in car. I had maybe 20ft2 of deadner, Focal K2 speakers, morel tweeters, alpine 9886 running imprint software and a sundown SA12 in my last car. As with performance, cost is exponential to quality. If i were you maybe throw some sound deadening at the doors and roof but then you start down the slope. My .02