M&P .40/.357sig talk

Mojoe

I got a call yesterday from a family memeber looking for the M&P .357 semi auto. After doing some looking around and some reading on this, it seems the .357 sig is the round used. More reading showed the M&P .40 with the .357sig barrel is a direct swap, and M&P says it works fine. It's my understanding that M&P put out the .357sig and now it is not an easy find. Trough more reading is where it seems it is just easier to buy the .40 aqnd source the .357 barrel to swap.

So, that being what it is. Does anyone have experiance with the .357sig or this configuration? I see this as a round that hasn't caught on much. when the .40 is so easy to work with and get ammo for; other than uniquness, I don't see much vaule to this round. The .40 and 10mm have that power area covered, with more ammo on the market.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I remember reading something that .357 sig are almost the same thing as 115 9mm +P+ rounds. Guns chambered in .40 are probably able to withstand the extra abuse more than a 9mm counterpart. I don't know about reloading bottled pistol cartridges would that be more of a hassle ?

A solution looking for a problem. I see no reason why you'd choose that caliber over a more common equally effective alternative, unless you had a massive stash of ammo or compatibility concerns.

I'm certainly not defending his choice to pursue this set up. This is more available, easier to work with, for less. But, it's what he wants. Once I gather what I feel to be a good bit of info and am sure I'm well informed, I'll probably go back to saying just buy the damn .40 and save the problems.

I do not beleave he will be reloading either. And I know he doesn't have a stock pile of this ammo.

It was discontinued

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/188954-m-p-357sig-discontinued.html

Here is the barrel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/339103/smith-and-wesson-barrel-s-and-w-m-and-p-357-sig-4-1-4

I say go 10mm. I'm not even a Glock fan but 10mm Glock with a .40 barrel for the swap if he wants two calibers.

This link here has the gel results of the mentioned calibers.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1214113

I'm aware it was discontinued and the barrels are out there for swap. Midway is out of stock, I had looked there too when Google linked it.

I can't say I'm on board with the .357sig. I am gathering info though. Just seeing if CR had any experience with the round or weapon.

I like unique weapons and ammo. but, this isn't one I am big on. The .40 and 10mm have it covered up and down. It's not like a FN 5.7 or even the PMR30. It's an odd unique.

I have not heard anything more from my family member who was looking into this. Thanks for the in put CR. I learned about a new variant with this thread.